5 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 9:55 AM by philmodjunk

Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11

FM_Rookie

Title

Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11

I have Table1 with a portal.  The portal has a calculated field (portal::zc_FileAs) in it from a third table (Table3::FileAs).  I can put Table3::FileAs in the portal, but can't sort by it (in the portal properties).  So, I'm using portal::zc_FileAs to copy it, so I can then sort by that.  But it doesn't seem to work.  I've even tried sorting it in the relationship graph link.  Still no good.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11
          philmodjunk

How does it fail?

Is the return type specified for zc_FileAs the same as the data type for FileAs?

Is zc_FileAs a field of type calculation or a field with an auto-entered calculation?

• 2. Re: Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11
            FM_Rookie
            posted 11:57 AM by PhilModJunk

How does it fail?

It simple doesn't sort... no change at all... same order as before.

Is the return type specified for zc_FileAs the same as the data type for FileAs?

Yes, the data type for the Portal1::zc_FileAs is set to text.

Is zc_FileAs a field of type calculation or a field with an auto-entered calculation?

Portal1::zc_FileAs is a calculation field type (the calculation used is:  Table3::FileAs)

The values show up just fine, but they won't sort in the portal, using with the portal settings or through a relationship

• 3. Re: Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11
              philmodjunk

Have you put both zc_FileAS and FileAS side by side in the portal?

Can you confirm that both display the same data?

What data is in the FileAs field?

What is the data type specified for it in Manage | database | fields?

• 4. Re: Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11
                FM_Rookie

posted 11:57 AM by PhilModJunk

Have you put both zc_FileAS and FileAS side by side in the portal?

Yes

Can you confirm that both display the same data?

Yes, they do

What data is in the FileAs field?

A name, "Lastname, Firstname"

What is the data type specified for it in Manage | database | fields?

Calculation, with calculation result in "Options" set to "text"

Does the comma muck these things up?

• 5. Re: Portal Sort by Calculated Field-FM11
                  philmodjunk

The comma should not be an issue.

What you have should enable the portal to sort on the calculation field defined in the portal's table. And the sorted relationship should also work. The fact that this is an unstored calculation field will slow things down if you have a large number of records in the portal, but it should work.