5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 3:12 PM by philmodjunk

Portal Text Calculation Question

shogun

Title

Portal Text Calculation Question

I'd like assistance with a calculation to evaluate a field [Production Note] for the text "next anyword" [with "anyword" being the word following "next"] and if found the calculation would pass on the contents of the date field [Next Date] in the record to a new field. 

Please see attached.

Thank you,

shogun

filemaker_question.jpg

• 1. Re: Portal Text Calculation Question
          philmodjunk

Instead of "new field" do you want a new record in the portal?

Not sure I have parsed out all the steps you want to do.

What happens if no record in the portal has "Next" as the first word in the production note field?

Is it possible that "Next" could be the first word in more than one record? If so, what should happen then?

Would the date in "next date" be passed to the Note date field or the next date field? (would guess next date, but let's be sure of that)

• 2. Re: Portal Text Calculation Question
            shogun

Hope this makes sense...

The idea - [which may be flawed], is that the "production notes" field is where information about the production process with a supplier is stored.

The note could be "next meeting discuss timeline", "next prototype due" or "next call discuss pricing".  A date for this next event would be entered into the "next date" field and the note status would be set to "open" or "in progress".  The calculation would look for the word "next" and the word that follows it.  These two words and the date of this next event would be passed on to two other fields in the DB.  Sort of a crude way of distilling "next steps" for all of the notes on a particular production process [see attached].

Instead of "new field" do you want a new record in the portal?

No, just want to pass on the text "next" and the word that follows as well as the "next date" to an existing field.

Not sure I have parsed out all the steps you want to do.

What happens if no record in the portal has "Next" as the first word in the production note field?

Would "next" need to be the first or could the calculation look for any instance of "next" in text string?

Is it possible that "Next" could be the first word in more than one record? If so, what should happen then?

The logic would be if the field "production notes" contains the word "next", and there is a date set in the "next date" field and the "note status" is anything but "complete", the word "next" and the one that follows plus the date would be passed on to other fields. If there is the word "next" and no date and the status is anything but "complete" then pass everything but date. If there is the word "next" and no date and the status is "complete" do nothing. Once the status for this portal record is set to "complete" evaluate for the next most recent "production note" based on "note date".

Would the date in "next date" be passed to the Note date field or the next date field? (would guess next date, but let's be sure of that)

• 3. Re: Portal Text Calculation Question
              philmodjunk

You never answered the last question. I still can't picture all the steps involved. Are you extracting data from this portal to enter into fields in another table or ? Can't picture the before and after of this operation. (which may require a script instead of a calculation.)

• 4. Re: Portal Text Calculation Question
                shogun

Would be the same table. 

• 5. Re: Portal Text Calculation Question
                  philmodjunk

Ok, but where in the same table?

I see a portal of records, somehow we identify a specific record in that portal because it contains Next followed by additional text in the Production Note field. The status must show as Open. The Date is in the Next Date field. Once we've acquired that info, what happens next. All I know at this point is that "some other field" gets the date info. What field is that?

It looks like you want to either create a new row in this portal with this info or find and update an existing one, but I'm not really sure of even that.