7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 2:21 PM by tangent

Portal Total

tangent

Title

Portal Total

Hi!

I have a portal set up where user enters product data like Qty, Description, Price. I have a field at the end of each line of this that does the math for each line item (called LineItemTotal). I am trying to get a subtotal field going that obviously adds up each line item

So far I have tried the calculation of:

Sum(LineItemTotal)

Problem is, the object only recognizes the first line item and doesn't seem to notice when new line items are being added in the portal.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 1. Re: Portal Total
          comment_1

Try a calculation field in the parent table (Invoices?) =

Sum ( LineItems::LineItemTotal )

• 2. Re: Portal Total
            philmodjunk

In the LineItem table, define a summary field as "total of" LineItemTotal.

OR

In the parent table (The one your layout refers to in Layout setup...)

Define a calculation field as Sum(PortalTableOccurrence::LineItemTotal)

The second field, in my experience, updates a bit better when you need to put a "portal total" on your layout below the bottom of your portal. The other field is good for putting in reports based on your portal's table.

• 3. Re: Portal Total
              tangent

The Sum ( ReturnLineItems::LineItemTotal ) works when calcualting the first line item of my portal when I fill it out, but it doesn't notice/calculate any data added to subsequent lines. I toggled the storage option on & off with the same results.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 4. Re: Portal Total
                philmodjunk

In which table did you define this calculation field?

It should be defined in the Parent table not the portal's table.

• 5. Re: Portal Total
                  tangent

My form has two tables: one that holds the customer data and one that holds the product data. The calculations I am doing reside in the second one. I'm guessing I need some of those to reside in the first table? See image.

Thanks!

~TPS

• 6. Re: Portal Total
                    philmodjunk

Exactly,

The calculation using Sum(ReturnLineItems::LineItemTotal) should be defined in Returns.

Aggregate functions such as Sum, when used in this fashion, are computing a total of all records in the child table (ReturnLineItems) that are related to the current record in the Parent table (returns).

• 7. Re: Portal Total
                      tangent
                         Beauty! That did the trick. Thanks!