4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 11:26 AM by TysonBoelman

Portal trouble

TysonBoelman

Title

Portal trouble

Hello everybody,

I'm having a problem trying to get a portal to show all records that are related to a search. In my relationship I have a job number in my job cost database (where the portal lives) that is tied to a job number field in a timesheet database (where the portal is looking). It will pull all data, weather the job numbers match or not. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. Also, is there a way to have a portal look at a timesheet and display the information on a separate line? Basically monday line 1 monday line 2, monday line 3, ect..... without having to build that many portals, one for each line I need to look at?

• 1. Re: Portal trouble
          philmodjunk

The layout is functioning as you have set it up to work. It's just not working the way that you want it to work. wink

To limit the records shown in a portal would not be done by performing a find. Either the relationship on which you base your portal must limit the matching records the way that you want or you would add a portal filter expression to limit what related records are listed in the portal.

Both methods can be set up such that a user can select or enter data, such as a date or range of dates and then the portal filter or underlying relationship limits the records shown to that date or range of dates.

Also, is there a way to have a portal look at a timesheet and display the information on a separate line? Basically monday line 1 monday line 2, monday line 3, ect..... without having to build that many portals, one for each line I need to look at?

I'm not sure that I understand your request. A portal is by default set up to display "multiple lines" of data, so you would not ordinarily need separate portals for that, just a portal setup to display multiple records at the same time--which is the default setting for a portal. Multiple separate portals are sometimes necessary--such as when you want to show the different records arranged in columns instead of rows.

• 2. Re: Portal trouble
            TysonBoelman

LOL, after I posted the question I noticed the filter records by.

So in my time sheet I have all 7 days on one record with each day having 8 lines to enter times worked on a specific job. Is there a way to show in one portal all these lines that I have in my time sheet or do I need a portal for each line?

• 3. Re: Portal trouble
              philmodjunk

Those 8 lines should be 8 portal records, not 8 sets of fields in the same record.

but with what you have, you can increase the height of the portal row while decreasing the number of rows in order to arrange the fields inside the portal row into multiple rows of data. You can actually get what looks like a "mini-form" in place of the "mini-table" that is the default arrangement of fields in a portal.

• 4. Re: Portal trouble
                TysonBoelman

Well now that I am thinking about it, for the filter to even work I would need to set a portal for each line anyway because if I'm trying to filter by a job number that somebody didn't work on that day my filter would not show anything because it would possibly have a different job number in it. So now my next question, my script step has be going to portal row to pull the data for calculating, how would i get my script to take me to the next portal?