2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 6:19 PM by symbister

Portal within portal difficulty

symbister

Title

Portal within portal difficulty

Hi all once again (using FMP11 on Mac, served FM8)

We have a fairly large db of contacts, a subset of whom we occasionally send specific letters to, so we have a structure:

Picacontax::ContactID = Contact_Letter::ContactID and

Contact_Letter::LetterID = Letter::LetterID, so I have a portal on the Contact's record to Contact_Letter

additionally we'd like to track followup calls (potentially several) to that particular contact about that particular letter, and response (likely only one), so I have a sub-portal to a table called 

Follow_Contact_Letter with FCL::FollowID = Contact_Letter::FollowID and

FCL::ContactID = Contact_Letter::ContactID

my difficulty is that deleting related record from first portal doesn't delete RR's from mini-portal

any help appreciated

Picture_5.png

• 1. Re: Portal within portal difficulty
          philmodjunk

Presumably Contacts, is the table occurence not shown except for the relationship line that connects to Contact_ID.

Putting one portal inside another is not supported by Filemaker. You'll need to use a different design.

Your "mini portal" is not displaying related records for a specific record in Letters, it is listing all follow up letters for all Letters sent to this contact.

• 2. Re: Portal within portal difficulty
            symbister

thanks Phil - wasn't aware of 'nesting' portals not being supported - but on reflection now understand why - tricky to identify which related records are being referred to.

yes will rethink and redesign ....