1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 1:02 AM by DillipKumarMahapatra

Portal within the same table?

m.mcdonell

Title

Portal within the same table?

I have a fairly complex database for my service company and I am wanting to simplify how things are viewed. Here is my question.

If I want to find clients in a certain city, and the result is 8 records. Within the layout that shows the details of each individual client, can I display a portal that shows all 8 in a list view? I am really just trying to display a list view in the same window as the records whereby selecting another client in the list it will either goto that record (while maintaining the list) or use conditional formatting to show the selected record.

Any ideas? I already have this setup so that if I am on a specifac client, I can view all the service orders in a list. That is easier since they are 2 different tables. I want to show a list view and display information all from the same table 

• 1. Re: Portal within the same table?
          DillipKumarMahapatra

Let me guess, that you want to show a list of client by filtering on City and you want to show the list of filtered client in a portal.

If this is the case then you can do this in below way. Create a global text field lets say gCity_xt. Create a value list on the basis of Client City field with all the values. Put that global field gCity_xt and attach that value list so that you can able to select a city form the list of available city of clients. Now define a relationship between same Client table to Client with gCity_xt = City. Show the portal based on this relationship. Now if you will filter any city from the list of city of gCity_xt it will filter the result and show in the portal.

You can follow this process if this is what you want. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Dillip