3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 6:36 AM by philmodjunk

Portal won't display field label?  Also, displays all fields horizontally?

pipiepo

Title

Portal won't display field label?  Also, displays all fields horizontally?

Hi all,

I am new to Filemaker and am using the trial to see if I can handle it since I am not fantastic with computers.  Hope I can get help with a simple issue.

I created 4 tabs on a layout.  I created a portal in one but when I select the fields to be displayed (there are about 20) there are no labels associated with the fields.  Is that normal?  I participated in a webinar yesterday and when the woman did this, the label and field showed up together.  Do I really have to create a text label manually for each?

Also, the fields are next to each other in one horizontal line so they're all squished (very technical, i know).  During the webinar yesterday, the moderator's fields appeared vertically so it all fit in the tab.

What am I doing wrong?  Such a basic thing I'm sure, but I don't know what to do. HELP please!!!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Portal won't display field label?  Also, displays all fields horizontally?
          pipiepo

Here's a snapshot of what my portal looks like.  Hope this is clearer than what I described :)

• 2. Re: Portal won't display field label?  Also, displays all fields horizontally?
            IT_User

If anyone else has something to add, please do.

So just some things, not all inclusive here:

You can increase the width of the portal so you can fit things in better.

Usually field, when layout is being created, will show up vertically, except for portals, which will be horizontal.  Otherwise you have to put fields on individually, and place them whereever.

Yes, there is a way to have labels show up when adding fields, not in portals, just when adding individual fields, or creating the layout.  Although, personally I don't name fields on the tabs that I would have the same label for organizational and programming purposes (Ex. Last Name & First Name would be nameLast & nameFirst).  So I usually let the labels be added, but change them after they are added.

P.S. Just curious as to what webinar you had watched.

• 3. Re: Portal won't display field label?  Also, displays all fields horizontally?
              philmodjunk

How to get a field's label on the layout after the field has already been added to your layout:

1.           Enter layout mode
              3.           Doubleclick the field to open specify fields dialog box
              5.           Click the check box for adding the field's label
              7.           Click OK
              9.           You will then need to drag your label into the desired position in the case of fields in your portal.