4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 4:07 PM by gcon

Portal wrap around?

gcon

Title

Portal wrap around?

Software: Filemaker Pro v 10.0.3

OS        : Mac OS X 10.6.2

I have a report page set up with a portal showing records from a related table.

The portal needs to be able to show 96 entries, and I have it configured to do so.

The problem that I'm running in to, is that I cannot fit 96 entries onto a single page print out. Is it possible to have the portal 'wrap' around, so instead of showing one large column of 96 rows, I instead have 2 columns of 48 rows each? I'm sure I can probably do this with some sort of calculation, but is there an easier way that i'm overlooking?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Portal wrap around?
          RickWhitelaw

Set up two instances of the portal next to each other. The one on the left (double-click on the portal in layout mode) shows records 1-48. The other, 49-96. Of course this will limit your horizontal screen space . . .

RW 

• 2. Re: Portal wrap around?
            philmodjunk

Given the large number of portal records, you may find you can get a nicer report if you create a summary report layout based on your portal's table occurrence. You can use your existing relationships to pull in fields from your parent table and place them in a header or subsummary part.

Terms you can research here or in Filemaker's help to learn more:

Summary Reports

SubSummary parts

List View Layouts

• 3. Re: Portal wrap around?
              comment_1
                 You should indeed print from the child table - AND you can set the print layout to print in columns.
              • 4. Re: Portal wrap around?
                gcon

haha wow, pure genius... thanks :) 

thanks for everyone's advice, RickWhitelaw has the immediate fix, but I know I need to get more familiar with summary reports and will figure them out in the near future