3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 10:49 AM by whardy7

Portal1 drives Portal2

whardy7

Title

Portal1 drives Portal2

I have researched a lot of posts on this, but may not be looking for the right thing. I want to have side by side portals in which when the record of portal#1 changes, it is used to filter the records in portal#2. For example, portal1 on left side has classes, portal2 on the right has students. I want to scroll through classes in portal1 and have students change in portal2 automatically.

Thanks for any help and please pardon my ignorance. I am just starting.

whardy 

• 1. Re: Portal1 drives Portal2
          philmodjunk

I think this is what you want: You can set this up with a script so that clicking a record in portal 1 selects the records to be shown in portal 2. Thus, clicking a class record in portal 1 would show the list of students assigned to that class.

You have at least three tables/table occurrences

Main (what your layout is based on)

Classes (portal 1)

StudentClasses (portal 2, probably a join between Classes and students)

Presumably theres a primarykey field in Classes called ClassID or some such and a matching ClassID field in StudentClasses.

Define a global field in Main, gClassID

Use it to relate Main to StudentClasses (you may need a new TO for StudentClasses)

Main::gClassID = StudentClasses2::ClassID (Base portal 2 on this specific TO)

Write a script

Set field [Main::gClassID; Classes::ClassID]

Commit Record //May not be needed, add it if portal 2 doesn't refresh properly

On your layout define the class name field in portal 1 as a button and specify this script.

Use conditional formatting on this field (or all the fields in the portal row)

Classes::ClassID = gClassID

and specify a contrasting color.

Now, when you click the field in Portal 1, it should highlight and the matching student list for the class should appear in portal 2.

• 2. Re: Portal1 drives Portal2
            whardy7

Phil,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try to digest this and make it work. I may have to come back with some questions, but it makes sense so far, at least conceptually.

WHardy 

• 3. Re: Portal1 drives Portal2
              whardy7
                 That was it! Thank you very much.