4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 11:38 AM by tays01s

Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields

tays01s

Title

Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields

I have about 250 fields I want to put into a portal. About 100 will be scripted to appear/disappear underneath 100 others, but I don’t think this affects my problem……which is that, while I want them in a portal to appear on the layout of another table, with a scroll bar, I’d like them to appear as 3 columns of 50 (with another 2 columns of 50 alternatively hidden/showing) but with most of the fields ‘off-screen’ and accessed with the scroll bar.

Is this possible with a portal, i.e. 50 field list but say only 10 showing? Or is there a better method?

• 1. Re: Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields
          philmodjunk

250 fields seems like way too many fields for a single table. What you describe is possible as you can arrange the fields within a portal row in a "grid" much like a "mini-form".

But I suspect that you have multiple fields where you really need multiple records in a related table.

• 2. Re: Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields
            tays01s

At the moment I think having the fields in this way should work in 1 table.

I'd intended a grid with 5 columns of 50 but how do you construct such a portal so that it only shows say the top 10 fields of each column and you can scroll down?

• 3. Re: Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields
              philmodjunk

"Can work" and "good design idea" are not the same.

This doesn't sound like a practical approach. Please describe what you mean by "top 10 fields in more detail and please explain why you think this design approach is necessary--perhaps someone can suggest an alternate approach that gets the results that you want but without the problems that this approach produces.

• 4. Re: Portal: Very large and needs to scroll fields
                tays01s

Good point.

OK. The fields are different nutrient (ie. 50) to be presented as amounts in terms of the goal, prescription and input with the latter 2 also presented as % of their respective standard; these are the 5 columns. To date it had been convenient to have them all on the same table because they draw on relationships to this table.

Probably a stupid idea, but is it possible to instead present the data from these fields as tab 5 separated columns with records listed; all of this would be in a single edit box with a scroll bar? I get how to create lists but is separating them into parallel columns possible?

Any ideas would be appreciated.