9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 10:22 AM by philmodjunk

portals

TaraFinleyMills

Title

portals

These questions have probably been asked many times, but:

I see that portals can't display a list of table content without selecting relative to some other table.  And that a find window won't show all the matches.  You need to flip through them one at a time.

Is there some way to overcome these limitations?

• 1. Re: portals
          philmodjunk

All portals require a relationship. That relationship can be: Layouttable::PrimaryKey X PortalTable::ForeignKey which is a way to match any record in LayoutTable to every record in PortalTable. And LayoutTable and PortalTable can even refer to the same table.

And that a find window won't show all the matches.  You need to flip through them one at a time.

Can you explain that in more detail? I don't understand what you mean by that. A list or table view layout can show many records all at the same time.

• 2. Re: portals
            TaraFinleyMills

>All portals require a relationship. That relationship can be: Layouttable::PrimaryKey X PortalTable::ForeignKey which is a way to match any record >in LayoutTable to every record in PortalTable. And LayoutTable and PortalTable can even refer to the same table.

When they refer to the same table, the portal shows no records.

If I have a 100 record category table and a 10,000 record inventory table, I can make the layout table category and the protal table inventory.

That will take me through the category table records one at a time and display related values.  If I do the reverse, I will be going through the inventory table one at a time displaying related values.  What I want is to display the category table directly.  I know there is a table view that shows the entire table, but doesn't allow me to select table fields to include in the view.  I must see them all.  And I can't have other content on the layout window in table view.

>>And that a find window won't show all the matches.  You need to flip through them one at a time.

>Can you explain that in more detail? I don't understand what you mean by that. A list or table view layout can show many records all at the same >time.

I have a layout with 3 columns in the portal

barcode     description     consignor

The find window shows these 3 columns.

If I enter "jen" in the consignor box, I get 1500 matches, which I must flip through 1 at a time.

• 3. Re: portals
              Sorbsbuster

"When they refer to the same table, the portal shows no records" - there are many cases where we show a listing of a table's own contents in a portal.  As Phil says, you simply make a join to itself, whether limited or Cartesian.

I think you would have a clearer run at it if you substituted 'List view' for 'Table view'.  (Personally I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've used Table View.  And one of those was to see what it looked like.  Maybe it's my OTT counter-reaction to 'Everything You Want As Long As It's In Excel').

"If I enter "jen" in the consignor box, I get 1500 matches, which I must  flip through 1 at a time." - if you are in List view it will show all 1500, as Phil says.  But you've thrown in another factor - you say: "I have a layout with 3 columns in the portal".  What portal?  It sounds like you've a portal whose relationship only returns one match.

• 4. Re: portals
                TaraFinleyMills

>"When they refer to the same table, the portal shows no records" - there are many cases where we show a listing of a table's own contents in a >portal.  As Phil says, you simply make a join to itself, whether limited or Cartesian.

I see that.  FM creates a second instance of the table and relates to that.  I can flip through the table one record at a time.  I want to be able to see them all at once.  And if I make a change in a portal record, does it update both tables?

>"If I enter "jen" in the consignor box, I get 1500 matches, which I must flip through 1 at a time." - if you are in List view it will show all 1500, as >Phil says.  But you've thrown in another factor - you say: "I have a layout with 3 columns in the portal".  What portal?  It sounds like you've a portal >whose relationship only returns one match.

The relationship returns one match.  Yes, often.   FM takes the id in the first table and finds all occurances in the second table that link to the 1st table id.  Then it filters that list looking for "Jen".  Not what I need.  I need to filter the entire second table for "Jen".  But I do need the portal because barcode and description are in the 1st table and consignor name is in the 2nd.  So what I really need is a complete list of matches for "Jen" along with the item descriptions and barcodes associated with each match.  All at once.

• 5. Re: portals
                  Sorbsbuster

"So what I really need is a complete list of matches for "Jen"" - then the portal should use a relationship that joins by the 'jen' field, not by the ID field.  Are you intentiaonally using portal filtering (in addition to the 'filtering' of portal rows by the relationship criteria)?

"if I make a change in a portal record, does it update both tables" - Yes (though strictly they are two occurances of the same table, so there is only one table to update.)

"I can flip through the table one record at a time.  I want to be able to  see them all at once" - I don't see what List View doesn't let you see a complete list on the screen.  In layout mode is the body section very short, or the full height of the screen?

• 6. Re: portals
                    philmodjunk

When they refer to the same table, the portal shows no records.

On the contrary, if the relationship is based on the X operator, the portal will show all records. If the relationship is based on the = opeartor linking to the same Primary key on both sides, the portal would show 1 record. It all depends on how you set up the relationship.

You might want to download and try out the find buttons in my Known Bugs Database to see an example of performing a find that brings up a list of matching records that you do not have to flip through one at a time. Instead, you can examine the list of matching records in a list view layout and click one to get a more detailed view of that record. While this file sets up the find request from data entered into specialized floating windows, such sophistication is not needed in order to list multiple records pulled up by a find.

http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

I know there is a table view that shows the entire table, but doesn't allow me to select table fields to include in the view.

Actually, if you click the Modify button at top right, you have complete control over what fields to include or exclude for your table view. Like Sorbsbuster, I usually do not use table view, preferring to use list view, but as a quick way to demonstrate how to get multiple records on the same page, it's quicker to set up.

• 7. Re: portals
                      TaraFinleyMills

>On the contrary, if the relationship is based on the X operator, the portal will show all records. If the relationship is based on the = opeartor >linking to the same Primary key on both sides, the portal would show 1 record. It all depends on how you set up the relationship.

With 12 entries in the category table, and the id field linked to itself with an X, I get 12 pages to flip through, each with one record repeated 12 times.

>While this file sets up the find request from data entered into specialized floating windows, such sophistication is not needed in order to list >multiple records pulled up by a find.

>http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

That is something I would want to do.  Thanks.

>Actually, if you click the Modify button at top right, you have complete control over what fields to include or exclude for your table view. Like >Sorbsbuster, I usually do not use table view, preferring to use list view, but as a quick way to demonstrate how to get multiple records on the >same page, it's quicker to set up.

Good to know.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: portals
                        TaraFinleyMills

>"I can flip through the table one record at a time.  I want to be able to see them all at once" - I don't see what List View doesn't let you see a >complete list on the screen.  In layout mode is the body section very short, or the full height of the screen?

List view does show them all, but it is too diffuse to give a good overview.  A shorter body section would close things up a little, but not enough, I think.

• 9. Re: portals
                          philmodjunk

With 12 entries in the category table, and the id field linked to itself with an X, I get 12 pages to flip through, each with one record repeated 12 times.

I suggest taking a closer look at the fields in that portal and how you set it up. You should get all 12 of your records in the portal, not the same record repeated 12 times. Each field in the portal row should come from the same table occurrence as that specified in "Show Records From" in portal setup... If you specify the fields from the same table occurrence as that selected in "Show Records from" in Layout Setup..., you'll get the same record repeated over and over again.

List view does show them all, but it is too diffuse to give a good overview.  A shorter body section would close things up a little, but not enough, I think.

As designer, you have near total control over the size of the body and the postion of the fields within it. In the FMP_Bugs File that I suggested you take a look at, if you search the bug reports with criteria that matches to more than one report, you get a list view layout where each record is exactly one line of text tall.