3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 11:42 AM by philmodjunk

Portals

dinora

Title

Portals

See picture, below

I have a global date (radio buttons) allowing me to see what symtomps of a patient by date.

I have Patients Table, Visits Table, Symptoms Table, and, visist/symptoms joint table. (4 tables)

Relations are PKPatient -- FK Patient (Visits Table)

PK Visit --FK Visit (Visits/Symptoms Join)

PK Symptoms --FK Symptoms (Visits/Symptoms Join)

G_Visits(Visits Table) --Symptoms A_Z(calculated field) in the Visits Symptoms Join

In the layout for Patients I can see the visits by radio button, and clicking on any visit it displays on the portal below the symptoms found. 

Then to the right you see the symptoms details for all the symptoms found during the visit.  What I want to do is scroll down through the symptoms found in the portal and display the details of symptom selected on the portal row.

Can anyone help on this. 

Details of the symptoms are displaying on a portal and also out of the portal. I am not sure I need a Detail portal.

Thanks is advance

Dinora

Snagit1.png

• 1. Re: Portals
          philmodjunk

This seems to be a continuation of this thread: Portals

These seem to be your relationships, making up a name for your join table:

Patients::PKPatient = Visits::FK Patient

Visits::PK Visit = Visit_Symptom::FK Visit

Symptoms::PK Symptoms = Vist_Symptom::FK Symptoms

Visits::G_Visits = Visit_Symptom::Symptoms A_Z(calculated field)

Robin, I still have the same question: "How does selecting a date successfully select a specific visit?" Surely there is more than one patient visiting the clinic on any given day, so more info than just selecting the date must be used to select a particular visit.

Do you use this date in a portal filter (or filtered relationship) on the lower portal so that you match by patientID AND the date?

I would guess that your radio button field uses a conditional value list. What will you do if there are more visit dates for a given patient than will fit in this field? (Perhaps a drop down list or pop up menu of dates will be more flexible...)

On what table is this layout based? Visits or Patients?

Is the lower left portal a portal to Symptoms or Visit_Symptom?

And on what table would the portal on upper right be based?

• 2. Re: Portals
            dinora

Answers to your questions above.

1.- , I still have the same question: "How does selecting a date successfully select a specific visit?" Surely there is more than one patient visiting the clinic on any given day, so more info than just selecting the date must be used to select a particular visit.

I have a value list that allows me to look at the visits starting from patient. Value lists only display the visits starting from that patient

2.- Agree a drop down will be implemented. I am just using the radio buttons while developing so when I test is easier for me to see what is going on

3.-On what table is this layout based? Visits or Patients?
            Patients

4.-Is the lower left portal a portal to Symptoms or Visit_Symptom?
            It is the joint Visit Symptoms

5.-And on what table would the portal on upper right be based?
            Symptoms

So all is working so far, but I am not being able to filter the information on the upper right portal (Details of symptoms) displaying only the details as I scroll up and down the portal on the left.

Thanks Phil

Dinora

• 3. Re: Portals
              philmodjunk

I have a value list that allows me to look at the visits starting from patient. Value lists only display the visits starting from that patient

Yes, but that only affects the values in the value list. How does selecting a value in the value list change what data is visible outside this value list? I can see that you are selecting a date on which a given patient visited your office, but how do you use that selected date to pull up data on the visit of that one patient? I'm concerned that there's a missing detail here that's going to sabotage any suggestions I make on how to implement a solution.

I'll ignore that issue for the moment....

Patient---<Visits---<Visit_Symptom>-----Symptoms

Add this relationship:

Patient::gSelectedSymptomID = SelectedSymptom::SymptomID

SeletedSymptom should be a new occurrence of Symptoms and your upper right portal should specify this table occurrence. The fields should be selected from this occurrence as well.

Set up your button in the lower left portal to do this:

Set Field [Patient::gSelectedSymptomID ;Visit_Symptom::SymptomID]

If this is a database that is shared over a network, make gSelectedSymptomID a field with global storage so that a choice you make can't interfer with a choice made by another user. In a single user database, it doesn't matter if it is or is not a global field.