AnsweredAssumed Answered

Portals - Join tables beyond Join Tables? Filter related portals?

Question asked by mknightnps on Nov 7, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Portals - Join tables beyond Join Tables? Filter related portals?

I already tried to tackle this one way and got a mess. Perhaps that was the way to do it but I missed a critical piece. I'm hoping that there's a cleaner/simpler way to achieve this.

The solution is for a company that makes special order parts (a classic job shop). The company has many customers. Some products belong to specific customer(s) while others only belong to one customer. Each customer has a set of contacts.

For products to customers relationship:

Products  < join table > Customers (Portal01 on Products layout to select customers)

For products to customers to contacts relationship:

Products <join table> Customers <Join Table > Contacts (Portal02 on Products layout to select contact)

This does limit you to only seeing the contact(s) available to customer(s) chosen. However, altering the contact portal on one product affects any other products also using that contact. FM doesn't seem to understand that this is a unique record to a single product. I'm guessing that is caused by the "piggyback" nature of Contacts relationship. I figured I have to set this up this way instead:

For products to customers relationship:

Products  < join table > Customers (Portal01 on Products layout to select customers)

For products to customers to contacts relationship:

Products <join table>  Contacts (Portal02 on Products layout to select contact)

How do I filter my contacts portal / ValueList to only show values associated with the customer(s) chosen in the unrelated portal/table?

Outcomes