3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 9:05 AM by comment_1

Portals - multiple entries

MarkMac

Title

Portals - multiple entries

Hi

I've a table (call it 'A') which captures info on the delevelopment of a brochure - as part of a current brochure record - all images used within the brochure are captured e.g. field names 'Image_RefA' 'Image_RefB' 'ImageRefC' and so on.

Another table (call it 'B') simple lists all images individually as a current record. A portal the allows all brochures that use an image to appear on the image record.

A simple relationship between A and B which allows a portal to function would by Image_RefA (field in A) = Image_Ref (field on the current record of the image found on table B) - the match allowing information to appear in the portal.

I'm trying to find away of allowing multiple relationships to allow the portal to show entries on all image used e.g.

Table A - Fields on one record        relationship to table B which lists individual images and where they are used

'Image_RefA' (field name)              Record one - Image_Ref (field name)

'Image_RefB' (field name)              Record two - Image_Ref (field name)

'ImageRefC' (field name)               Record three - Image_Ref (field name)

The relationship only works with the first 'Image_RefA' - Image_Ref

How can I get the portal to work with multiple options to table B's Image_Ref

Does any of that make sense????

Thanks for your help - Mark

• 1. Re: Portals - multiple entries
          comment_1

You should have three tables: Brochures, Images, and a join table (let's call it BrochureImages). The BrochureImages table has a record for each instance of placing an image into a brochure. It doesn't have to contain much more then fields for BrochureID and ImageID, which link it to the parent tables.

A portal to BrochureImages on a layout  of Brochures will show the images used in the current brochure. A similar portal  on a layout  of Images will list the brochures using in the current image.

• 2. Re: Portals - multiple entries
            MarkMac

Many thanks for your suggestion, can you illaborate please - my problem is if I have 1 record of a brochure which uses five images - and as I have stated I can link the first image to the image table but not the other four.

If I create a third table how do I match the IDs without facing the same problems. How can I match 5 fields with one relationship to another table?

Brochure record 1                                               Image table

Image 1: (Field capturing image code: Image RefA)    Record 1 of an image: Image code (Field capturing info called: Image Ref)

Image 2: (Field capturing image code: Image RefB)    Record 2 of an image: Image code (Field capturing info called: Image Ref)

Image 3: (Field capturing image code: Image RefC)    Record 3 of an image: Image code (Field capturing info called: Image Ref)

Image 4: (Field capturing image code: Image RefD)    Record 4 of an image: image code (Field capturing info called: Image Ref)

Image 5: (Field capturing image code: Image RefE)    Record 5 of an image: image code (Field capturing info called: Image Ref)

Thanks

• 3. Re: Portals - multiple entries
              comment_1

MarkMac wrote:

How can I match 5 fields with one relationship to another table?

You can't - but you don't need to. The brochure record shouldn't hold ANY information about the images. Instead of 5 fields, you will have 5 (or any number of) related records in the BrochureImages table.

I suggest you take a look at the demo posted here (rename Contacts to Brochures, Organizations to Images and Affiliations to BrochureImages).<!-- POLLS --><!-- FILES --><!-- SIGNATURE -->