3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 1:24 PM by philmodjunk

Portals and Labels

bookalaka_1

Title

Portals and Labels

How can I use a portal from my line items as a label layout?   I would like to use 5163 labels that print out 5 up and 2 across. Can this be done within a portal?

• 1. Re: Portals and Labels
          philmodjunk

Yes, you can use a portal, but why do you need to?

If you want to print one label for each record in your found set, you may not need the portal. (Portals are one way to print multiple labels for the same record, so perhaps that's what you have in mind here.)

• 2. Re: Portals and Labels
            bookalaka_1

No... My use is  for description from a line item.  I have a field that looks up a description which I would use as the text for my labels. so for instance if I create an order of ten items each will have its own description and this will always change on each order. I know I can go into the line item file and find all the items with a mactching record ID and print my ten records in a label layout. I don't know how to do it but  if the portal prints across and down I would only need to change my layout.

On a second note...I create a script to do a find.  enter find mode go to field code pb pk.. when I paste  the code I need to hit the return ket two times for the search to begin?? if I do command F and paste only takes one return.

• 3. Re: Portals and Labels
              philmodjunk

Are you printing a single line item on each label? If so, I'd just create a standard labels layout and base the layout on the LineItems table. FileMaker will handle the rows and columns for you. IF you want multiple line items in a single label, then a portal to list the line items would work.

On your second question, it depends on your layout and what field you are in (and what behavior options you have specified for that field). Hitting return can cause the cursor to exit the current field. Hitting it again can trigger FileMaker to perform the find.