4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2010 5:13 PM by smokey

Portals and Lookups

smokey

Title

Portals and Lookups

I am working with FileMaker Pro 10 and was wondering if it's possible to do Lookups in Portales? 

Thanks for your help.

Smokey

• 1. Re: Portals and Lookups
          philmodjunk

What kind of "lookup"?

You can enter find criteria in a portal while in find mode.

Or are you thinking of something different?

• 2. Re: Portals and Lookups
            smokey

My program is a Music Publishing program and when I put the writer(s) of a song in, I want their publishing information to automatically fill in, then all I have  to do is fill in what percentages each writer & publisher gets.  I've done Lookups in other parts of the program, but not in Portals.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Smokey

• 3. Re: Portals and Lookups
              philmodjunk

Yes, it works the same way. Just keep in mind you have two options and the best option here depends on what you need.

Looked up values are an auto-enter option that physically copies data from the related table. This approach is good if you want a "snap shot" of your data. Changes to the source table will not automatically update the looked up value tables.

You can also simply add the fields from the related table to your portal. Now the fields automatically display updated data whenever the values in the source table are updated.

• 4. Re: Portals and Lookups
                smokey
                   Thanks, that helps a lot.