3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 3:18 PM by philmodjunk

Portals and sliding

aammondd

Title

Portals and sliding

I need to put a portal on my List layout what is the behavior of setting it to slide up and collapse enclosed part.

Ill need to make it quite a number of rows to ensure that data displays but I have data below it 

In most cases its only a couple of rows but  want to be able to display a large number if  there happens to be a large number.

How is the export to excel effected.

Currently I just placed 4 single line portals is this a better way to do it?

• 1. Re: Portals and sliding
          philmodjunk

what is the behavior of setting it to slide up and collapse enclosed part.

This is only visible in preview mode or when you print/pdf it. If you have a portal set to display 20 rows and it only has 3 rows of data, everything collapses to show just 3 rows. If you have 21 related records, the 21st row will not show in your report. Also, you can shrink fields inside the portal row and if you get a page break in the middle of your portal it can get messy...

How is the export to excel effected.

Sliding only affects how the report looks when previewed/printed/PDF'd. It does not affect what happens when you export the data. If you have 4 rows in your portal, the first row will export in line with the other fields in your record, the additional 3 rows will be listed in the same column, but the other, non-portal columns will be empty.

Currently I just placed 4 single line portals is this a better way to do it?

There's no way to tell from here. That limits you to 4 portal records, but puts it all in one row on your layout.

• 2. Re: Portals and sliding
            aammondd

I was more concerned how many columns the portal would export to in excel

It looks like my single portals are doing fine for now. there is no way to determine the number of related records but generally its not more than 2 and no parent has more than 3 currently so I thought 4 should suffice.

is there a way to have a field on a layout only in find mode (i dont need the active_inactive status showing or exporting to excel. Is setting ti not to print sufficient.

this process is a bit convoluted because the user wanted to be able to select a number of fields that appear on a report and a some various find criterial

This is my current find script Its probably very clunky and could be cleaned up 

The layout where they import the global report options is what feeds this if they leave everything blank they get all active supplier records and the related records in the layout.

• 3. Re: Portals and sliding
              philmodjunk

Your layout design doesn't have a lot of impact on what you get when you export the data. I suggest running some actual exports with various options selected and note what you get as a result. That's what I did before my last post as I wasn't sure what format I'd get when specifying the related portal records in the export.

is there a way to have a field on a layout only in find mode?

You can set the field's behavior so that it can only be entered in while in find mode, this is an option in the Inspector. (Or field/control | Behavior in older versions).

You can use conditional formatting to hide the field by changing text and fill colors to match the layout background when you are in Browse Mode. Get ( WindowMode ) can detect whether you are in Browse or Find Mode (and a few other modes also.)