7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 8:59 PM by Charmalique

Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List

Charmalique

Title

Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List

Hi,

I am newbie with Filemaker (Pro 9). I am stuck in creating portals. I have 2 tables. The first table has 5 special fields that uses the same relationship (value list from table 2). The first table has names. The second table is colors, red, blue, green. (this is an example only). 

In my first table with names, i have 5 fields (for color 1, color 2, color 3, color 4 and color 5). The five fields have a drop list from table 2.

So when i create a portal. I want the names of the person to be in the row who selects the color red. In which they might be in fields color 1, color 2, color 3.

My current portal results to the names who are in field color 1 and not include in field color 2, color 3, color 4 and color 5.

Can you please help what to do? Thanks

• 1. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
          philmodjunk

With your 5 fields, you'd need 5 different relationships to 5 different table occurrences of your portal's table and that would enable you to have 5 different portals.

That works, but a slightly different approach is simpler to set up and would list all of your persons for all 5 color selections in a single portal. Is that what you had in mind?

If so, remove fields 2-5 from your table as they are unneeded. Format your single color field as a group of check boxes with your value list of colors.

Set up this relationship for your portal:

LayoutTable::CheckboxField = Persons::Color

Then, if you click the checkboxes for "red" and "green", you'll see all persons records where the color field = "Red" and all persons records where the color field = "green".

But if you need a different portal for each selected color, please use Post a new Answer to let me know and I'll describe a how to set that up.

• 2. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
            Charmalique

Hi Phil,

Yes, what i had in mind is list all of my person for all 5 color selections in a single portal.  The color is just a sample, i don't think a tick box would be a great option for me, as the list has quite a lot in it. It has more than 20 records in it (just an example).

Also, i needed the 5 separate fields in the person table.

• 3. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
              Charmalique

Hi Phil,

In relation to your suggestion above, i can have 5 different portals. How do i do these in one layout?

• 4. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
                philmodjunk

Is this still the case?

Also, i needed the 5 separate fields in the person table.

Sorry but if that's the case, this appears to be a very inefficient design. Can you explain why you need the 5 separate fields? (Knowing the big picture can change the details of any suggestion that I make.)

• 5. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
                  Charmalique

I guess it is  sad I am really a newbie on database design and this is my first time. smiley

Well, the database is a student record who happens to have a 5 member panel. Thus, we need to record all this five panel in the student record. So, what i did was create five fields for it.

Thus, when i open the panels records,  (a separate table).  I would create a portal of which student they where a panel of.

Any suggestions or idea?

• 6. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
                    philmodjunk

Instead of 5 fields, you set up a portal with 5 rows--each row is a record in a related table.

I would guess that the members of this panel are members of such a group for multiple students?

If so, you have a many to many relationship. Start with these relationships:

Students-----<Student_Panel>-----PanelMembers

Students::__pkStudentID = Student_Panel::_fkStudentID
                         PanelMembers::__pkPanelID = Student_Panel::_fkPanelID

You can place a portal to Student_Panel on the Students layout to list and select  PanelMembers records for each given Students record. Fields from PanelMembers can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected PanelMembers record and the _fkPanelID field can be set up with a value list for selecting PanelMembers records by their ID field.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 7. Re: Portals from Multiple Fields but the same Value List
                      Charmalique

Thanks Phil, I haven't done it but will try it.