11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 2:10 PM by TSGal

Portals from Two Tables

TheRugi

Title

Portals from Two Tables

FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Mac OS 10.6

Is there a way for portals to get fields from two different tables (both related)? Every time I try this, it screws up the fields from the table that it's not getting info from, either in FileMaker itself or on Instant Web Publishing. Broken images or radio buttons not displaying correctly and whatnot.

• 1. Re: Portals from Two Tables
          philmodjunk
             You can do this. If it's not working, check the relationships you've defined for possible issues.
          • 2. Re: Portals from Two Tables
            TheRugi
               Well it works...in FileMaker. When I try to view it on the web with Instant Web Publishing, all the images are broken.
            • 3. Re: Portals from Two Tables
              philmodjunk

Are these images in container fields?

Are the container fields set to store references to the images instead of the actual images?

• 4. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                TheRugi
                   They're container fields and they are storing the actual images.
                • 5. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                  philmodjunk

Are you sure?

The reason I ask is because image files stored in containers by reference have to be located in a specific folder before a web published Filemaker DB can display them.

• 6. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                    TheRugi

I'm sure. I wouldn't be able to put images there if they weren't containers, and the images are all still there even if i delete the original copy. I checked to make sure and the checkbox for store as reference in the insert image window is not checked.

It's weird, most of the images are broken but some would show the wrong image using the aspect ratio of the image that's suppose to be there. 

Oh, right. The portal is grabbing from a different table. I just inserted the picture field in there from another related table. If I change portal to the table with the picture in it, then the first table gets screwed up somehow. Buttons don't work and the radio buttons are all wrong. 

• 7. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                      philmodjunk

A better test:

Try moving your database to a different computer and see if the graphics still show correctly when you open the file. Seeing that the check box in Insert Picture is not checked only tells you that if you insert a picture, that new picture will not be stored as reference. That doesn't tell you if the current image is or is  not stored by reference.

Another test, if you can't open the DB on a different computer:

Create a calculation field set to return text.

Enter the name of the container field.

Place this field on a layout next to the container field and make it several lines of text tall. Store by reference images will show a file path in this field, Images physically stored in the container field will show just the filename in this field.

Another possibility:

Is the related data in an external file or a table in the same file? I don't do any web publishing, but I thought I remembered reading that IWP required all the related tables to be in one file.

• 8. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                        TheRugi

Okay, I did as you said:

Moving the database to another computer made no difference. It works on FileMaker just fine, it just screws up online.

Calculation field returns the filename, and not the path (makes sense, it's not present anywhere else on my computer).

There's only one FileMaker file, every table is in the same file. 

• 9. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                          philmodjunk

Ok, this takes me to the limit of my knowledge experience with IWP.

Maybe another particpant can chime in here.

The only option left that occurs to me is to test a recovered copy of the file and see if it exhibits the same behavior--that's a major long shot since it seems to work correctly when not published to the web, but maybe there's some part of that layout that is corrupted that regular filemaker can handle and the web publisher can't.

• 10. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                            TSGal

TheRugi:

Thank you for your post.

If an image is stored in the database file, then it should display in Instant Web Publishing.  What type of image is it?  That is, JPG, TIFF, PNG, etc.?

It is possible your layout is corrupt.  A customer sent a file to me that displayed fine in FileMaker, but not in Instant Web Publishing.  When I replaced the field or created a new Layout, the information then appeared in Instant Web Publishing.  If you are still unable to find the problem, then I would like to see the database file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Portals from Two Tables
                              TSGal

TheRugi:

Thank you for sending in your file.  I can definitely reproduce the problem.  I tried recreating new layouts and reimporting the pictures, and I was able to get 9 out of 10 pictures displayed in the portal, but some of the images did not match up with the correct record.  As I look through the Issues database file, there was a problem reported earlier this year tating container fields in portals that are a table occurrence away from the portal table occurrence can display the wrong image in Instant Web Publishing.  In your case, some images are not displayed, and with new layouts, I encountered the same problem.  I could not find a viable workaround for Instant Web Publishing.

Bottom line: Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  No additional information is available at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.