10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 10:00 AM by mrvodka

portals in portals?

ChronoVII

Title

portals in portals?

ok here's the situation....let's say i have a research study "A" that has 10 visits (these individual visits are all stored in a seperate table. The study has 6 particpants (again the participant info is stored in a seperate table).

What i want to display is something like this:

Example

where the V1, V2, V3 are the visit numbers and the color codes are Green = Completed visit, Blue = scheduled appointment, and Red = Missed appointment.

The only way i can remotely think of doing this is a portal within a portal which does't seem to work.

help!

• 1. Re: portals in portals?
          philmodjunk

You are correct. Portal within a portal is not supported in Filemaker.

You can place fields from a related table in your portal, however.

Define a series of calculation fields that just return a number:

cVisit01  :  1

cVisit02  :  2

cVisit03  :  3

cVisit10  : 10

In Manage | Database | Relationships, use the button that looks like two overlapping plus signs to make multiple Table Occurrences of your Visits table.

Click your Visits table. Click the button and name the new TO "Visit 1". Click it 9 more times. (Filemaker will update the numbering for you.)

Link each of these TO's to the TO your portal is based on:

Participants::StudyID = Visit 1::StudyID AND

Participants:: ParticipantID = Visit 1:: ParticipantID AND

Participants::cVisit01 = Visit 1::Visit

Set this up for each Visit TO but substituting the appropriate cVisit field in place of cVisit01.

Note:: I'm assuming that a participant might be involved in more than one Study, hence the first pair of fields that match records by StudyID. If this is not possible, you can omit that pair of fields from the relationships.

Now you can place a related field from Visit 1 next to the participant name, a related field from Visit 2 next to that field, ... Etc. until you have the portal you wanted.

• 2. Re: portals in portals?
            ChronoVII
               thanks for the response! I will try this out today and let you know how it works out!
            • 3. Re: portals in portals?
              mrvodka

I would prefer one relationship with multiple portals instead of multiple relationships. Each one line portal can start with a different initial row.

Since this is a display only purpose, another option would be to use a repeating field if you have a pre-defined number of trials such as 10. Here is an example.

File Link

Edit: Changed file host. 

• 4. Re: portals in portals?
                mrvodka
                   Once you go to that URL, hit the download button.
                • 5. Re: portals in portals?
                  philmodjunk

I was curious to see how the demo file works, but can't seem to down load it. I click the down load button and screen changes to show a code and a "get" button. I enter the code and click "get" only to get a new code showing with a new text for entering it.

I'm familiar with the horizontal portal technique that I think you are describing, but since our OP is describing a portal listing multiple participants, I don't quite see how that will work without sacrificing flexibility in the number of participants that can be displayed.

I'm picturing this interpretation of your post, where each bracket represents a different portal.

[ParticipantPortal1][VisitPortal1][VisitPortal2][VisitPortal3]...

[ParticipantPortal2][VisitPortal1][VisitPortal2][VisitPortal3]...

Which means that for 10 participants x 10 Visits you need 110 one row portals?!!

I must be missing something here...

• 6. Re: portals in portals?
                    ChronoVII

Thanks Mr Vodka,

this is a great solution. Since i have some studies that have over 50 visits, this is an easier method to implement than creating 50+ TOs. Thanks for you help!

• 7. Re: portals in portals?
                      mrvodka

Yes I did mention the multiple 1 row portal method, but the example didnt showcase that. It uses a repeating field.

Strange about the website. Once you put in the code, it should give you a download popup... I can send it to you backchannel if you wish ( send me a PT if you dont have my email ). Speaking of which... When are they either going to move to a forum where we can attach files or else provide a means to do it.

• 8. Re: portals in portals?
                        mrvodka
                           Phil. I put it on another file host. Try it now.
                        • 9. Re: portals in portals?
                          philmodjunk

Thanks for the clarification. Knowing that it's the repeating field approach (which is definitely easier to set up for large numbers of visits) removes my interest. I get that approach. It's only draw back may be any need to analyze the data stored in the repetitions. As always there are trade offs and its up to the developer to weigh the pros and cons.

I'd love to be able to upload sample files and screen shots directly to the forum. Sometimes there's just no substitute. Perhaps we should both wander over to the feedback forum and suggestion form to post that opinion?

• 10. Re: portals in portals?
                            mrvodka

PhilModJunk wrote:

It's only draw back may be any need to analyze the data stored in the repetitions.

mr_vodka wrote:

Since this is a display only purpose, another option would be to use a repeating field if you have a pre-defined number of trials such as 10.