AnsweredAssumed Answered

Portals with children next to portals whith grandchildren

Question asked by wladdy on Jan 23, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Portals with children next to portals whith grandchildren

I have a database with three tables: 'Days', 'Shows' to record performances given on various days and 'Acts' to record the various acts making up each performance. There is a one-to-many relationship from Days to Shows and another one-to-many relationship between Shows and Acts.

I need a single layout in which I could:

1) enter a new Show without manually specifying the primary key of the corresponding Day

2) enter a new Act without manually specifying the primary key of the corresponding Show

So I created a ‘Data entry’ layout showing records from ‘Days’. In it, I added a portal (A) showing related records from ‘Shows’. This satisfies requirement 1.

To satisfy requirement 2, I created in ‘Data entry’ another portal (B) showing related records from ‘Acts’. In the filtering options of that portal, I specified that the foreign key of an Act be equal to the primary of a Show.

I was hoping that a new record in portal A would automatically show corresponding records in portal B and, more importantly, make B add the right primary key to any new record added within it. Unfortunately, whatever I select in A, all records that I enter in B have the same foreign key, which is the primary key of the first record in A.

Any help to solve this situation would be greatly appreciated.  W.

Outcomes