6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 7:43 PM by Rune

Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!

Rune

Title

Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!

Hi,

I have searched these forums and others for similar topics but simply cannot find anything that matches my situation.. This may be really simple but I am really stuck and desperately need help. 

I am new to Filemaker and just started using FileMaker 11 Pro Advanced and am currently building a fully customized warehouse solution for the company I work for, which supplies solar products to numerous distributors.

Without going too in-depth I will try to describe my current setup and problem:

I have a main layout called [Orders], which is in a direct relationship with [Parts Line Items] and then to [Parts].

[Parts] consists of lots of different items, divided into the following categories: Items/Inverters/Panels.

On the [Orders] layout the user has to build assemblies of solar systems. A series of drop-down lists helps determine the exact system from a value list, and also what items it consists of. The problem is that the distributors sometimes order different kinds of inverters and/or panels to go with each system

What I would like to do is have a portal on my [Orders] layout that only shows all inverters in stock. On here the user can then choose an inverter + quantity, depending on what is ordered.

Also, another portal that only shows all panels in stock. On here the user can then choose a panel + quantity, depending on what is ordered.

A button on the layout, once pressed, will then add the selected inverter(s) & qty and also the sected panels & qty to the predetermined list of Items that makes the system.

I have, for a full week now, experimented with portals, line items and conditional value lists. I have even tried setting up [inverter] and [panel] tables but can't find a way to then integrate them into my stocktakes.

I am sure there'd be a way to do this, but obviously I am in to way over my head here! Please help me :)

• 1. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
          philmodjunk

It's hard to give a specific suggestion when we don't know exactly what you tried that didn't work for you.

Off hand, either a filtered portal or a conditional value list can be set up for this.

With a conditional value list, you can select a part type in the lineitems portal, (Items, inverters or panels) and then the part number drop down would only list parts of that type. This approach enables you to add items directly to your line items portal.

With a filtered portal, you can have a second portal, to Parts with a filter expression that compares a global text field to a part type field in parts to control which fields are listed in the portal. You could then click the portal row (if you set up the field as a button) or a button in the row to add a selected part from this portal to your line item portal.

While you could include data fields in this portal for quantity and use a script to transfer the data to a corresponding field in the lineitems portal, it makes more sense to me, to add the item to the LineItems portal and then specify the quantity there.

• 2. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
            davidanders

May be completely off course.  but

there are resources to help the beginner with FMP, one is the white paper here.

http://www.foundationdbs.com/downloads.html

There are three free open templates available from Richard Carlton Consulting Inc.

Usefulness is that they are free open and allow you to examine  their methods

Starting Point http://www.fmstartingpoint.com/

Donations  http://filemakerdonations.com/

Data4Life  http://www.data4life.net/

• 3. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
              Rune

Phil:

I have tried the filtered portal you described above. Although obviously I must have done something wrong because it seemed to not work for me..

With a filtered portal, you can have a second portal, to Parts with a filter expression that compares a global text field to a part type field in parts to control which fields are listed in the portal. You could then click the portal row (if you set up the field as a button) or a button in the row to add a selected part from this portal to your line item portal.

I like the idea of a this. However, with the filtered portal I was able to view all my products from [Parts] in the drop-down list, even though I had set the global category field to "Inverters". However, if I chose one with the wrong category, ie. Item, it would still add the product to the portal but just show it as a blank portal row. I couldn't work out how to make the drop-down list only show the correct category products.. Maybe I need to look at this again and work out where I went wrong.

Oh, and thanks david, I will have a look..

• 4. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
                Rune

Ok I am trying to set up conditional value lists for [Inverters] & [Panels] and I think I am starting to confuse myself and everything now seems too complicated! For some reason I just fail to understand how to set up these conditional value lists..

Currently I have:

[Orders] _kp_id_orders-----< _kf_id_orders [Parts Line Items] >----- _kp_id_oparts [Parts] 

I am sure I need more TO's for this to work, but my head feels like it is about to explode , damn it's getting frustrating haha!

EDIT: I added a picture to show it better

• 5. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
                  philmodjunk

I like the idea of a this. However, with the filtered portal I was able to view all my products from [Parts] in the drop-down list, even though I had set the global category field to "Inverters".

With the filtered portal, there is no drop down list. Just a list of products in a portal that you can add to your line items portal by clicking one.

To set up a conditional value list--which takes up much less layout space than the filtered portal, you'd need some more table occurrences.

Here's one way:

Define a field, partType in Parts Line Items and format it with a value list of Inverter, Panel and Item. Define the same field with the same value list in parts and use it to identify every record in Parts as either an Inverter, Panel or Item.

Define this relationship:

LineItems::partType = PartsByType::partType

Where PartsByType is a new table occurrence of Parts.

Define your conditional value list to list _kp_id_parts from PartsByType and select "use only related values starting from LineItems". (You can specify a description field as the second field for this value list.) Format LineItems::_kf_id_parts to use this value list in a drop down.

Now, you can select "panel" in the partType field in LineItems::partType and the drop down will only list values from Parts that have been identified as panels.

• 6. Re: Portals, Line Items and/or Lists!
                    Rune

Thank you so much Phil! It works really well now.. What a relief haha