5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 12:33 PM by JohnSmith_3

Possible to click button for field entry?

JohnSmith_3

Title

Possible to click button for field entry?

I have a field set up as a button to "Go to related record". I need to however fill up this field with manually entered text.

As it is currently set up, i'm only capable of getting to the field by "tabbing" to it (or pressing next on the ipad), and filling it up.

After that, clicking on the field lets me navigate to the related record.

Is it possible to have the field clickable (like a normal text field) for an edit, filling it up, and then once it's filled up, have the link work for a related record?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Possible to click button for field entry?
          philmodjunk

Your mouse click can only do one thing. Either the click enters the field (if it's not set up as a button) or it performs a script (if it is set up as a button).

OnObjectEnter could be set up to perform this script, but then both tabbing into the field and clicking it perform the script and the Go to Related Records step (GTRR) will prevent you from editing the field.

Is this what you want to be able to do?

Enter data into the field and then perform a GTRR to bring up a set of related records?

If so, try using the OnObjectSave trigger to perform this script after editing data in the field.

If this is not what you want, please explain what you want to do in more detail.

• 2. Re: Possible to click button for field entry?
            JohnSmith_3

It's almost what I want to do. Using an OnObjectSave trigger makes it so I enter the data, and when I tab out, it'll do a GTRR.

I want to be able to enter data, keep working on the record or navigate to other records.

But once data has been entered on this field, if i click it, then it'll navigate to other records.

The pseudo-code logic would be something like this:

If (not isEmpty(field))

GTTR

else

Edit field for data entry

End If.

• 3. Re: Possible to click button for field entry?
              JohnSmith_3

Actually writing that code with an OnObjectEnter works as desired. Only problem is that now I can't modify the data once I filled it, if ever I made a mistake etc.

I think i'll just keep it as a field and put a little button next to it to GTTR. Not aesthetically pleasing but simple and functional.

Thank you for the help!

• 4. Re: Possible to click button for field entry?
                philmodjunk

On trick is to set up the OnObjectEnter trigger script such that shift clicking the field puts the cursor into the field instead of doing the GTRR. Then you have a way to click into the field and edit existing data.

Get ( Modifierkeys) can detect if a modifier key such as shift is down.

• 5. Re: Possible to click button for field entry?
                  JohnSmith_3

Thanks Phil,

That's a great trick, just what i needed!