3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 9:33 AM by MichaelWile

Possible to omit empty sub summary fields

MichaelWile

Title

Possible to omit empty sub summary fields

I have a listing that includes 4 date fields that take up about 1" on the listing. Sometimes all these fields are empty. I was wondering if there was a way to create a second subsummary field, move these onto that layout part, and only show the second subsummary if data is present in any of those 4 fields.

Right now I just use hide if empty, leaving a 1" whitespace in the listing. I'd like to eliminate that extra space if I could when fields are empty.

• 1. Re: Possible to omit empty sub summary fields
          MikeWile

I meant to say this was a Report, not a Listing.

• 2. Re: Possible to omit empty sub summary fields
            philmodjunk

For printing, previewing, saving as PDF, set them in the inspector to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part".

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
            3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
            5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
            7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
            9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
            11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
            13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
            15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
            • 3. Re: Possible to omit empty sub summary fields
              MichaelWile

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I remember reading about "slide up" once but forgot all about it.