8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 3:43 PM by JorgeRuiz

Potential client database to Client Database with reports

JorgeRuiz

Title

Potential client database to Client Database with reports

HI Everyone, This is the Dilema i work for a non profit organization and we currently have  a database on file maker pro 5 (yes that Old) about 15 people use the database and yes we have a server.

I want to upgrade to 12 thinking it will easier to start from scratch than to do all the necessary conversions in order to make everything work.

Currently all callers that call are tracked in the  " Potential Client Database" where we keep the client contact information,  case notes by the day they called and the services (8 services) they requested. We generate reports from that data for 20 funding sources and 4 counties and 20 cities.

Now some of those potential clients become clients and they are entered in a separate database where case work and progress is tracked , as well as the services they are receiving.  We generate reports from this data to the various funding sources and territories as well.

I started as an end user per my job duties but now i have taken interest in upgrading our database and making it better. I have created a simple contact database in FM12  but where i need help is understanding how to create reports and take a client from  a potential client to an actual client without re entering the information twice in two different databases and also managing users (Staff) so we know whos doing what. I would appreciate suggestiosn to what literature to read. Thank You!

Since our current datase is very old sometimes our reporting functions have crashed in the past and  i have manually generated reports by going "behind the scenes" into the different views and finding the data that i need. I think have the basics knowledege i just need to be pointed in the right direction Thank You! once Again

• 1. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
          philmodjunk

Use the same tables for your client and potential client data. Use a field in the client table to mark them as either a potential or actual client. you will then not have any data to enter a second time when a potential client becomes and actual client.

Finds, sorts, portal filters can all be used to keep various views of your potential and actual client data separate even though the data is in the same set of related tables.

• 2. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
            GuyStevens

Hey Jorge.

What PhilModJunk says os indeed the simplest solution.

Just have a field "Type" or something like that with two possible values:
                 - Potential Client
                 - Client

Then if you want to create a report that shows all clients you perform a fiend for the value "Client" in the Type field.

Tell us a little more about what kinds of reports you need to make? Are you using different related tables for other info?

A slightly more difficult option would be to have one table for Potential clients and another almost axactly the same table for actual clients.

A script would then be used to turn a "Potential Client" into a "client". That script could import the data from one table into the other.

But if you have data in related fields you would have to take that with you as well, or atleast update the Foreign key ID's.

So I think the simplest method is the one suggested by PhilModJunk.

• 3. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
              GuyStevens

Please remember that finds and stuff like that can all be automated / scripted.

You can create buttons for reports and those buttons can perform scripts that take you to another layout, perform a find, perform a sort etc. etc.

All you want.

• 4. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
                JorgeRuiz

A script would then be used to turn a "Potential Client" into a "client". That script could import the data from one table into the other

I like this idea, that is what i was thinking. Currently when a potential client becomes a client we end entering information all a over again into our  database during the intake process.

Also In the Potential Client database we only capture the services requested but in the "Client" database we capture more details about the work being done. For example how much time was spent teaching the consumer how to use a computer, or how much time was his assestment etc.."Time tracking for Services"

• 5. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
                  philmodjunk

In the Potential Client database we only capture the services requested but in the "Client" database we capture more details about the work being done.

Sounds like information that should not be stored in fields that are defined in the client table, but rather in related tables--records that can be linked to the original table that stores records for both potential and actual clients.

• 6. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
                    GuyStevens

So, to come back to this. You have two options:

1) Create one table "Clients" and in there you use a field "type" that is either "Potential Client" or "Client".

That way you can very easily turn potential clients into clients.

You should use related tables for some of the other data, especially if you can have multiple "services requested" or "time tracking" etc.

2) you have two different tables. One that's for potential clients. Maybe with some related table(s)

And one that's for actual clients.

The moment a potential client becomes a clients you have a button that runs a script that:
                         - Imports the "Potential client" information into the client table.
                         - reassigns the related data to this new client so all his related date is properly linked to the correct client.
                         - removes the potential client record.

Voila, something like that.

I suggest you do some testing to see which situation is best suited for your needs.

• 7. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
                      davidanders

Some find these links useful.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

There are links to free FMP databases - one is for non-profits that may be helpful.

• 8. Re: Potential client database to Client Database with reports
                        JorgeRuiz

THanks for all of your suggestions i think i know what i have to learn now in order to take project off and running.