2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 6:57 AM by SteveHarris_2

Pound Sign bug when searching text fields

SteveHarris_2

Title

Pound Sign bug when searching text fields

Beware: I just found that if you use a # sign in a text field's contents, those records will NOT be found when you search for it.  For example, searching for "Baseline Test #2" could not find any records I did a search on that field though I know that those records exist with those contents in a text field.  Perhaps # is a special character the FMPro is ignoring during the search process.  Makes me wonder if there are other characters that should be avoided in text fields.....

• 1. Re: Pound Sign bug when searching text fields
          philmodjunk

This is not a bug.

Enter find mode with the status tool bar visible at the top of the screen.

Pull down the operators drop down. Note that there are a number of operators listed:

One of those operators is the # sign--which stands as a wild card operator for a single numeric digit.

If you use any of those character combinations that stand for one of these operators, you are entering that operator, not search text.

To find records where you want to specify text including one of these operators, such as Baseline Test #2 or SomeEmailName@Domain.com, enclose the search text in quotes.

If you use

"Baseline Test #2"

Including the quotes, you'll find your records with that text.

• 2. Re: Pound Sign bug when searching text fields
            SteveHarris_2

Face palm!  Thanks PhilMod!!  My faith in FMP is restored.  :)