AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pre-sales questions for FMP 10

Question asked by Walt_Atwood on Apr 27, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

Pre-sales questions for FMP 10

I've been using Macintoshes since 1986, and I'm thinking about getting some software upgrades (including MacOS 10.5) and maybe including the purchase of Bento or FileMaker Pro with them. I'm posting here today to see which of these apps would be able to address my needs.

Since the mid-1990's, I've been using MacEnvelope Professional from Synex. Synex stopped supporting MacEnvelope Pro years ago, and I don't think the company even exists anymore. It is the last software I use in MacOS 9 "Classic" mode on my iMac. I still use MacEnvelope Pro in "Classic" mode on my iMac to print out lists of mailing labels on Avery-5160-style sheets of 30-up each (1-inch-by-2-5/8-inches). MacEnvelope Pro had a great feature: you could arrange print jobs for lists or for duplicate labels, and you could specify which label on the page the print job would start on. (Starting on column 2, row 5, for example) This eliminated waste. I could also repeat labels to create sheets full of return-address labels.

I also still use AppleWorks 6 to create business cards and other duplicate media using the Database module. AppleWorks had a template set up where you could create a free-form business card, DTP-style, and then it would print out 10-up sheets (8371-style Avery cards).

One thing I've found frustrating about Apple's Address Book in MacOS 10.4.x is that if you create a special Group and you include entries that have no e-mail address, then try to bulk-send a message to the Group using Mail, Mail will screw up every time and try to send e-mail to the Group entries that have no e-mail address.

To quote Steve Jobs, one more thing... I was wondering if anyone uses Bento to record databases like GPS coordinates, and then interface that information with common Mac software for GPS. I do not yet own a GPS unit, but I am consdiering possibilities. I would also like to know if such databases can be linked to iPhoto images and their Places feature. Has any inter-application communication like this been accomplished by Bento users, or would FileMaker Pro be necessary?

Or, to cover all my points, should I be looking at Bento or FileMaker Pro overall for these kinds of tasks?

Thank you

--WA

Outcomes