4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 11:19 AM by CarrieB.

Prevent field from committing empty information

CarrieB.

Title

Prevent field from committing empty information

I've noticed while working in my records, that if you enter a field, but don't type anything, it commits the record with blank information. Is there a global way to make sure fields aren't committed unless they contain information?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Prevent field from committing empty information
          Sorbsbuster

When you are defining the field click the 'Options...' box in the bottom right.  Go to the 'Validation' tab, and check the 'Is not empty' option.

Alan.

• 2. Re: Prevent field from committing empty information
            CarrieB.

I think I have been working on this so long that my brain is too tired to try and figure anything out on it's own! =) That solution did help, although, if you accidentally put a space in the field it's no longer considered empty. But, I don't really think that will be an issue for me. The 2nd issue wasn't an empty field issue, but rather missing information from a calculated field. I am using the calculated field to show full name and address and in my record, there is a company name and 2 email slots for 5 people. I later use that calculated field for users to choose a recipient. If all the fields in the calculation are empty, it's fine, because it won't evaluate if ALL the fields are empty, but if you enter one address for a contact and not a second, it ends up showing a field for "Contact" "<>" because the name has data, but not the 2nd email field. Is there a way to tell the calculated field only to evaluate if all fields contain data?

Thanks!!!!

• 3. Re: Prevent field from committing empty information
              TSGal

CarrieB.:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can create a calculation that on evaluates if all fields contain data.  Let's assume the fields are:

Field1

Field2

Field3

Field4

Field5

Create your calculation with the following formula:

If ( IsEmpty (Field1) or IsEmpty (Field2) or IsEmpty (Field3) or IsEmpty (Field4) or IsEmpty (Field5) ; "" ; <calculation> )

That is, if any of the fields (Field1... Field5) are empty, then the calculation is empty.  Otherwise, evaluate the calculation you want to display.

Does that make sense? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Prevent field from committing empty information
                CarrieB.
                   Thank you! That worked great!