AnsweredAssumed Answered

Preventing a field from being modified after entry if related data is changed in another table

Question asked by GregNichols on Aug 5, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Preventing a field from being modified after entry if related data is changed in another table

Hi I'm new to database development and learning...I need assistance understanding how to prevent a field from being modified in a related table.  So here is the senario, I have an employee entering a time card via a Filemaker Layout.  We have multiple lists that I have created separate tables for such as 'Employee List', 'Job Lists', etc.  Now we want to be able to update these lists as we lose and gain employees, and jobs.  I have another table called 'Time Card' that will have a layout for time entry.  I want the manager to be able to type in an employee number or begin typing a name and have a list of employees to select from and entered into 'Time Card'.  I believe this makes it a one to many relation ship between the Time Card table and the other table lists.  So I dont want a name to be changed in the time card table if say, an employee name changes.  Is this a problem and how can I avoid this?  Is this a problem that exists only in many to many relationships and if so how is that problem avoided...Thanks for any help...

Outcomes