3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 11:33 AM by ralvy

Preventing Drag and Drop of Excel file

ralvy

Title

Preventing Drag and Drop of Excel file

Now that I'm experimenting with Troi File's Drag/Drop capabilities, I notice that FM allows the user to drag an excel file right into the solution, presenting them with an import dialogue regarding field headers. Is there a way to prevent this behaviour, locking the user out from dragging an Excel file into the solution? I want to allow them to do that only via the plugin.

• 1. Re: Preventing Drag and Drop of Excel file
          TSGal

ralvy:

Thank you for your post.

When you drag an Excel file onto the FileMaker application icon, FileMaker Pro will prompt you for the first row being Field names or Data, and then create a new database table.  This is an OS issue, and I cannot find a way to stop the OS from performing this action.

Anybody have an OS solution?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Preventing Drag and Drop of Excel file
            philmodjunk
               Don't know of a way, but keep in mind that this drag and drop feature creates an entirely new database. It does not enable importing data directly into the solution. Thus, in many cases, this is more of a "nuisance" issue than something that threatens the integrity of your solution.
            • 3. Re: Preventing Drag and Drop of Excel file
              ralvy
                 Well, I can say that the runtime solution simply spits out an error message saying that this file is not part of the solution. However, if the user first presses a button that enables Troi Drag and Drop, the file is imported nicely if the Troi script is configured properly.