1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 11:05 AM by philmodjunk

Preventing Duplicate Records -- How to Defeat FMP's Unique Value Error Message Dialog Window

WF7A

Title

Preventing Duplicate Records -- How to Defeat FMP's Unique Value Error Message Dialog Window

Hi, all:

My goal is to have a scripted, custom, pop-up window appear after a user enters text into a text field (CompanyName__lxt) warning him/her that an identical company name already exists in another record.

Creating the pop-up window is no biggie. However, getting around FMP's built-in Validation > Unique Value error dialog box is the problem--I don't want it to appear, just my pop-up window. Yet, how can I have FMP validate/check for uniqueness?

In another thread in here somewhere, the Moderator suggested using the OnObjectVaildate function (with a script trigger) by way of this solution (http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/the-onobjectvalidate-trigger/) . I threw together their solution but I can't see how it would work with text, not a date, let alone look for an existing record with the same--in my case--company name.

TIA for your help!

Rich