4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2012 5:23 PM by TeagueParker

Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode

TeagueParker

Title

Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode

Hello, I really need help.  

Admittedly I'm not a FM power user, but have been using FM (and other DB's) for many years on a Mac.  Currently using FM12.  I can usually work through problems over time, but this one's got me baffled.  Lately when I go to generate a PO or an invoice everything looks and works fine in Browse Mode, but when I go to print in Preview Mode, it displays and prints some fields in my Footer with different information.  The data affected and displaying incorrectly is pulled in from another table using a related field. However this does not always affect every form within the DB and it also seem to be inconsistent as to when it happens.  I guess I'll just have to worry about the when and where once I understand the why. 

Here are some screen shot examples of Browse, Preview and Layout modes:

Browse Mode 

Browse ModeHe

Preview/Print Mode 

Preview Mode

Layout Mode

Layout Mode

Thanks in advance.  :)

• 1. Re: Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode
          philmodjunk

There's a subtle difference between browse and preview modes when you place fields in the header and footer.

In browse mode, the current record determines what data appears in those fields.

In preview mode, the first record on the page controls what data appears in the header and the last record on the page determines what appears in the footer.

Since you have data from a related table appearing, it would seem that you need to review the relationshp used and what fields in your layout's table serve as match fields to that related data.

• 2. Re: Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode
            TeagueParker

Phil,

Thank you.  Not sure I understand all the implications yet, but this helps mucho.  

I'm wondering, if I happen to a search on the related field, instead of just selecting form the Drop Down List, if that is bringing up a multiple selection, causing the last in the search selection to appear in the footer as you describe.  If so, would disabling the Find or Quick Find function on those fields in the Footer help avoid this occurance? Don't need to search on them anyway.  Selecting from Drop Down List should be sufficient for my purposes.

• 3. Re: Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode
              philmodjunk

I don't think that's the solution. Finds and quick finds aren't going to change what appears in headers and footers except by finding different groups of records for your report and I would assume you have the records in your report that should be there so that isn't an option.

My best guess is that you have something like this if you check the fields from your layout's table that match to records in the related table:

Record1   MatchFieldvalue: A
              Record2   Matchfieldvalue: B
              Record3   MatchFieldValue: C

and so forth

In other words, different records in your current found set match to different related records due to having different values in the match field.

In browse mode, when you click on Record 1, you'll see values from the related table where the match field in the related table is "A". When you click on Record 2, you see values that match to the value "B" and so forth.

In preview mode and when you print. If you are on page 1, you'll see the values from the related table that match to "A", but if the last record included on page one has a matchfield Value of "D", then you'll see values in the footer from the related table that match to "D".

I don't know what your relationships are nor their purpose in context of this report, so can only provide generalized explanations of what you are seeing.

If all the records in your report should match to the same record or records in the related table, then perhaps the match field in your layout's table should be a field with global storage specified. This may not be what you need, but if it is, you can specify a value in the global field and all your records will match to the same related records and now you'll see the same results in both browse and preview modes.

• 4. Re: Preview does not appear same as in Browse Mode
                TeagueParker

"then perhaps the match field in your layout's table should be a field with global storage specified."

Phil,

Seemed to take care of my issue.  Not sure if it will affect other things, but for now, I'm ECSTATIC!  

Thank you very, very much.  Smile

t