7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 10:10 AM by TSGal

Preview Exit

synergy46

Title

Preview Exit

I would like to give the user the ability to Enter Preview and click a button to Exit Preview and return to Browse mode.

However, once in Preview the button to return does not work. Is there a work around?  Or, is this a FM "feature"?  :smileyvery-happy:

• 1. Re: Preview Exit
          vcirilli

Your are correct in preview mode fields and buttons are locked out.

In FMP v10 they added  preview / preview exit  buttons as part of the status bar.

In FMP < v10 once in preview mode the user can use the small icons located in the top left

of the status bar, The View Menu, Keyboard equivalents and the Popup menu lower left of window to switch between modes.

• 2. Re: Preview Exit
            synergy46

My app will turn the status bar 'off'.  So, I guess I am out of luck?

• 3. Re: Preview Exit
              Jade

Admittedly, a cancel button would be better.  The user can exit by keying ESCape (Windows) or command . (Mac).  Perhaps you can add a custom dialog to this effect when entering the Preview mode as a reminder.
              • 4. Re: Preview Exit
                davidhead
                   I would suggest that you open the status toolbar while in Preview mode then close it after. This would allow the user to access useful features of the toolbar.
                • 5. Re: Preview Exit
                  davidhead

synergy46 wrote:

I would like to give the user the ability to Enter Preview and click a button to Exit Preview and return to Browse mode.

However, once in Preview the button to return does not work. Is there a work around? 

On re-reading this original post, I am thinking that you are wanting more than an Exit Preview button. It would seem that you are not just entering Preview mode but also changing to another layout? If that is true, then the Continue button would be used to continue a paused script.
                  If in fact you are just going to Preview mode on the current layout and simply want to a button to Exit Preview mode, I would be using the status toolbar button for that.
                  I have just published a new blog article on scripted control of the status toolbar using the OnModeEnter script trigger. Could be worth a read. ;)
                  To Show or Not To Show the Status Toolbar?
                  http://www.ulearnit.com.au/blog/?p=56http://www.ulearnit.com.au/blog/?p=56 

• 6. Re: Preview Exit
                    synergy46

It doesn't sound like I can "get there from here". 

I am loath to allow the user to access the status bar because they have access to more than just the 'exit preview' button.  It is my experience that given the opportunity, sooner or later they will press an inappropriate button and add/delete a record that shouldn't be deleted or some other kind of mischief.

Perhaps FM will consider adding a script step of CLOSE PREVIEW.  That would do it.

• 7. Re: Preview Exit
                      TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your posts.

Once you enter Preview Mode, there is no interaction with the layout, so placing a button for "CLOSE PREVIEW" (or more appropriately Exit Preview) would not be accessible.  I can understand why you want this feature, so please enter this into our Feature Suggestion web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I could easily copy your suggestion and paste it into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.