13 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 12:48 PM by philmodjunk

Preview Mail Labels

Marj

Title

Preview Mail Labels

I'm trying to do a label layout and want the preview to show 3 columns and 10 rows of labels per page.  I haven't been able to get this preview consistently and I cannot figure out what I'm doing to cause the preview to go from 3 x 10 labels to only 1 label per page.  I'm using FileMaker Pro 10.

Any suggestions?

I want a properly formatted page in Preview mode, then I can save it in PDF and print the PDF file to my label pages.

I thank you for any help or suggestions.

Marj

• 1. Re: Preview Mail Labels
          philmodjunk

Check your found set. If you have one record in your found set, you'll only see one label in preview.

Check your view settings before you enter preview. Is the view set as list? If not change it to list and preview to see if that fixes the problem.

• 2. Re: Preview Mail Labels
            Marj

Where do I "Check view settings"?  From within Layout?  

Oh please bear with me.  I'm new to some of this and really struggling.

Thank you for your help, Marj

Notes and questions: 

In Browse mode I have 3146 found records.  In Preview I have ? Total, now.  I think at some point

it was indeed 1.  With the ? I now have three vertical lines on the page that would preceed each

column of labels.

How does the selected record count change?  How do I get the number of Browse records into the

Preview window?

Okay, I'm new at this.  Where are the View Settings?  In Layout mode the View Menu is dim.

Let's see from Layout  of my Label with no records to Browse I have one record per page, but 3146

in the Found count.  I selected the View As: for List View and got a line across the top of the page. 

Form View give me a clean page with one label.

Back to the top --

• 3. Re: Preview Mail Labels
              philmodjunk

Marj wrote:

Where do I "Check view settings"?  From within Layout?  

Pull down the view menu while in browse mode.

Notes and questions: 

In Browse mode I have 3146 found records.  In Preview I have ? Total, now.  I think at some point it was indeed 1.  With the ? I now have three vertical lines on the page that would preceed each column of labels.

In preview mode, the record counter changes into a page counter. Filemaker doesn't know how many pages are being previewed until you preview the last page. At that point the ? changes into the total number of pages in your preview. To change pages while in preview, click the "book" control in the upper left corner or drag the slide control that's near it to the right. This would be a good idea for you to try as it might tell you that for some reason your layout will no longer display all the rows you expect.

How does the selected record count change?  How do I get the number of Browse records into the Preview window?

Changing into preview mode does not change the number of records in your found set. It just looks that way sometimes (see my answer to your previous question.)

Let's see from Layout  of my Label with no records to Browse I have one record per page, but 3146 in the Found count. 

This is normal and expected. In layout mode, you don't actually see ANY records, just placeholders for each field plus all other layout objects.

I selected the View As: for List View and got a line across the top of the page. 

That seems odd. Normally a label type layout displays a single, vertical column of records in list view.

Form View give me a clean page with one label.

That's normal.

My question on views sent you in the wrong direction. Both form and list view options should preview and print identically.

• 4. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                Marj

Check your found set. If you have one record in your found set, you'll only see one label in preview.

I have 3146 in the found set.

Check your view settings before you enter preview. Is the view set as list?

Okay, In Browse mode, View as List is selected.

If not change it to list and preview to see if that fixes the problem.

No it did not fix the problem I still have only one label per page, but when I

drag the slide bar to the right it shows 105 pages. 

How do I get 30 records per page?

• 5. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                  philmodjunk

Marj wrote:

Those two statements seem to conflict. If you see one label per page, you should have 3146 pages--one for each record.

Something appears to be wrong with your layout.

When you Enter layout, what layout parts do you see? A typical labels layout has a header a body and a footer. Each part is labeled with grey rectangular labels on the left hand side of your screen. The Body layout part should be the same height as one label. The header and footer parts should be the same size as the upper and lower margins of your label page.

Another thought: What page size and orientation have you selected for your printer? Choose print set up (page set up on mac) to check these settings.

• 6. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                    Marj

Those two statements seem to conflict. If you see one label per page, you should have 3146 pages--one for each record.

That is true, but it is actual.

Something appears to be wrong with your layout.

When you Enter layout, what layout parts do you see? A typical labels layout has a header a body and a footer. Each part is labeled with grey rectangular labels on the left hand side of your screen. Yes The Body layout part should be the same height as one label. Yes, 1"  The header and footer parts should be the same size as the upper and lower margins of your label page. That is 1/2" for the Header but no footer exists.  Do I need to add one?

How would I add a Footer to the page?

Another thought: What page size and orientation have you selected for your printer? Choose print set up (page set up on mac) to check these settings.   The size is Letter and the orientation is Portrait.

• 7. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                      philmodjunk

We've exhausted the obvious causes, and are now digging for less obvious possibilities.

In preview I have 105 pages. 

Check out the math: 30 records/page x 105 pages = 3150 labels at 1 label per record. I am assuming you want 3 columns of 10 labels. The math strongly suggests that you are getting 30 records per page but for some reason can't see all the labels in preview that you should.

Let's check some other settings:

Enter layout mode and select Layouts | Layout Setup...

What check boxes are selected?

What numbers and with what units do you see in the boxes?

Are the numbers "greyed out" or black?

Back to your preview that shows 105 pages:

Do you see a different label on every page?

When you click through the first 5 pages, do you see the first 5 labels, one on each page, or do you see the labels for records 1, 31, 61, 91 ....?

• 8. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                        Marj

Let's check some other settings:

Enter layout mode and select Layouts | Layout Setup...

*   What check boxes are selected?

What numbers and with what units do you see in the boxes?

Are the numbers "greyed out" or black?

Back to your preview that shows 105 pages:

Do you see a different label on every page?   YES

When you click through the first 5 pages, do you see the first 5 labels, one on each page, or do you see the labels for records 1, 31, 61, 91 ....?

Layout Setup | General:  All 3 are checked

Inclued in layout menue

Save record changes automatically

Show field frames when record is active

The Layout Name at the top is correct:  New Label

Show records from:  Contact Management the DB or DataFile Name

Then Menue Set:  [File Default]

Numbers?  I don't see any numbers in Layout Setup | General

Views or Printing.  The views page has all views checked

In Properties:  The top to boxes are blank (Includer and footer)

The include column headers is checked

and all the boxes below it are checked.

For Rows the Box is NOT checked. about Use custom height.

For Printing Tab:

Print in Columns IS checked with a 3 in the box.

The second layout is selected (Down, Down, Down)

Use fixed page margins is Checked With

Top = 0.00, Left = 0.25, Bottom = 0.00, and Right = 0.25

As for Script Triggers:

Nothing is selected until the bottom that is no Event Scripts.

Enable in: BROWSE is Checked           Find is NOT Checked

Now to work on your question of what labels are printed.

First they are all different.  Now to find them.

You are right.  The 1st and only label printed on each page is 1, 31, 61,  (1+30, n+30, . . . )

all the way to page five 121.  I'm sure it would continue thru the full 105 pages.

So How do I turn on the print.

I also am a little confused of the sequence of Layouts to select to get to the 105 page set.  I select a list Report

Layout that in Browse mode it shows all records in the same order I'm getting the Labels.  Does a Label Layout always require a companion list of all records separate from the Label Layout.

Sorry I seemed to disappear.  I had a dentist appoint this after noon and a meeting this evening.  I trust I will

hear from you again in the morning?  I do thank you for your help and effort.

Does any of this help you?

Again thank you, Marj

• 9. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                          philmodjunk

My apologies to you. I left out a key part of my question and that lead you to dig out a lot more info than I requested. I was primarily interested in the Printing tab of layout set up. You did provide that and the margin and column numbers look reasonable for what you are trying to do.

Here's the mystery, your responses indicate that your entire found set is being previewed, but only 1 out of every page's worth of records is being printed. That's truly odd. I thought maybe some margin settings in layout setup might be keeping the other labels from fitting within the print area, but your numbers don't seem to indicate that.

I can only think of one more thing to check without physically examining your file:

In layout mode, you should see the field boundaries for one label. The body of the layout should be divided into three rectangles of equal size. The first is white and serves as the background to the field boundaries for one label. The two grey rectangles should lie to the right of the white one. There should also be a vertical dotted line that lies on or near the right hand border of the 2nd grey rectangle. Is this where you see it?

If all looks correct, then the only other thing I can think of is to try making a new labels layout to see if you get the same problems with it.

You stated:

"I also am a little confused of the sequence of Layouts to select to get to the 105 page set.  I select a list Report Layout that in Browse mode it shows all records in the same order I'm getting the Labels.  Does a Label Layout always require a companion list of all records separate from the Label Layout."

Filemaker Pro maintains a list of "found records" for each table in your database. This "found set" as we call it is what is printed whenever you print from a layout with the "records being browsed" option selected and also represents the records that will be visible to you as you use the "book control" to click from record to record or when you scroll the window in a list or table view layout. If two different layouts refer to the same underlying table, then they both access the same found set. Thus, you can bring up your list of records, find, sort, omit records and then switch to a label layout for the same table of records to print them.

I'm sending you a private message, (look for the envelope symbol in the upper right corner), so you can email me a sample copy of your file if you would like me to take a look at it.

• 10. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                            philmodjunk

OK, I looked at your file and found the problem. I'm now looking at your file and I see 30 labels/page :smileyvery-happy:

Here's what you need to do to fix this. Go to your layout, enter layout mode and click the text once so you see the selection handles. Then, press the down arrow key twice to nudge your label text down out of the header. If you nudge it down too many times, you'll get a message asking you if you "....want to increase the size of the layout". If that happens, click no and try again.

When any fraction of a layout object (even just an invisible pixel's worth or two) lies within the header, it is treated as though it is part of the header. As the header isn't divided into columns, you were seeing one record per page instead of thirty.

• 11. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                              Marj

Thank you so much Phillip. 

It is so wonderful to have this resolved.

I really appreciate your determination.

Take Care,

Marj  :smileyhappy:

• 12. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                                Marj

Hello,  I'm ready with a modified set of labels.  In Browse I have 3105 records that print in the table view great.

When I switch to Layout all looks fine.  When I switch to Preview I have 3 columns of company names.  The headers

are the same as on the Browse screen.  I don't see labels as in the Layout definition.  Before I started editing the

addresses we last printed from the returned cards all looked great.  When I edited I used FIND then deleted the

record or modified it on the FIND line, switched back to SHOW ALL to verify the change looked good.

This file started from a Mailing Labels template that I used to print the labels (100 pages) for the last mailing.

What could I have done in the editing to foul up the preview from labels to just columns of company names.

I haven't even sorted the set, which I do need to do before I print.  But at present I don't have anything to print.

Your help appreciated.

Thank you,

Marj Lawrence

• 13. Re: Preview Mail Labels
                                  philmodjunk

"When I switch to Layout all looks fine.  When I switch to Preview I have 3 columns of company names." 

I don't follow this. I remember that your labels layout should print 3 columns of labels in 10 rows per page. Thus you should see 3 columns of data in preview mode, 1 single label in layout mode and either 1 label (view as form) or 1 column of labels (View as list) in browse mode.

Let me know in a little more detail what doesn't match up here and we'll try and see what happened. Note that any use of find should have zero affect on the layout except that it will control how many labels will be printed when you print or preview the database.

We'll try that first and if you still have problems, I'll take a quick peek at the file directly.

PS. My "real" job is heating up so I may not be as responsive to this thread and others over the next several weeks.