5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 10:30 AM by philmodjunk

Preview mode versus actual print

EdnaLuis

Title

Preview mode versus actual print

Before bothering the forum I did a Google search on my problem and found something from 2002. So I hope I can get a more up-to-date answer: 

I have FileMaker Pro Advanced, ver 12. I designed a few layouts and found to my dismay in Preview mode that my layouts were too wide to print. Thinking it was just showing me a limited view of my layout, I then printed it. The print size came out HUGE, but I thought that if I fixed the layout it would print normally. So I edited the layout and made everything much smaller, so small that I can barely see the layout in preview mode. Yet when I print this layout, the size of the print is STILL very large! There is a disconnect between preview and print modes.

I tried this on 2 different printers with the same results, so I don't think it is a printer issue. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Preview mode versus actual print
          philmodjunk

I have never seen what you describe. Can you provide a more detailed description of what you are doing to "Make everything much smaller"?

• 2. Re: Preview mode versus actual print
            EdnaLuis

This is a screen shot of preview mode. Most everything is Tahoma, 8 or 9 pt. Tahoma is the default, and I just went with that. I also saved the layout as a PDF first and printed that, but the same thing happens. Just to let you know I have printed many PDFs and XLS files, and this never happened.  

Something that confounds me is that the grid guide on the screen in EDIT mode (the vertical and horizontal dotted lines), which show you margin boundaries, seem so small to me. If you make the objects small enough you should be able to get much more on a page. I want to upload the spreadsheet I am replicating. It prints exactly as I would expect, and it has a lot more of the layout on page 1.

• 3. Re: Preview mode versus actual print
              EdnaLuis

This is the spreadsheet from which I am working

• 4. Re: Preview mode versus actual print
                EdnaLuis

Sorry. I guess I can't upload a spreadsheet...

• 5. Re: Preview mode versus actual print
                  philmodjunk

What you show in preview should be exactly what you get when you print or save as PDF.

Either there is a scaling percentage set wrong (Mac OS) There is something wrong with the layout or the layout from which you are printing/saving as PDF. This last can happen if you are using a script to produce your output and there is an error in that script.

You'll need to check settings and run some tests--such as creating a brand new layout and trying to print from it, to see which might be the case.

Sorry. I guess I can't upload a spreadsheet...

The file types you can use for a file to upload are listed below the Post a New answer box. If you upload a file of a different file type, the forum software will allow you to upload the file, but will then fail to display it.