3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 2:38 PM by philmodjunk

Preview not correct

jayGamel

Title

Preview not correct

In list view, a field called "Category" shows up perfectly, but in Preview, a few -- not all -- display "CAN'T FIND" and I can't figure out what's happening. The field is within the body boundaries (sub's above and below both sorted on the same field), there is no sliding on any of the body fields, and the field entry is correct -- no extra paragraph returns, tabs or odd ascii characters.

These are invoices, collecting current and past unpaid invoices. In one bill, one instance of category shows fine and the second shows "can't find". ?????             

Screen_Shot_2013-04-05_at_12.40.42_PM.png

• 1. Re: Preview not correct
          philmodjunk

That isn't a built in error message that comes with FileMaker as far as I can tell. Something in your database design is responsible for displaying it. You'll need to take a closer look at the design of your layout and maybe the definition of your category field--a relationship could even be involved to see why you are getting this text.

• 2. Re: Preview not correct
            jayGamel

A relookup solved the problem, but I stil don't know what caused it in such a sporadic pattern.

• 3. Re: Preview not correct
              philmodjunk

Relook up  copies data from the related table into the field from a related table for every field with a looked up value field option that uses the selected field as a matchfield in the relationshp specified in the looked up value setting.

I would guess that the "if no exact match, Use:" setting was set up to return "Can't find". You'll need to investigate what event or events is triggering a lookup from that related table at a time when the value in the match field in the parent record does not match to any record in the child (Lookup) table.