7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 3:24 PM by JLG

Preview Page Count Problem

JLG

Title

Preview Page Count Problem

What would cause the number of pages in preview mode to be different from the actual pages printed.  A script is used to calculate the first several pages that vary to determine the last several fixed page numbers.  It enters preview mode, goes to last page of the variable length section: for example it sees 3 pages (and that is how many shows up when debugging).  Following it sets a variable for the page count at 3, but when it actually prints, only 2 pages print (with all the information that was spaced into 3 pages in preview).  This only happens when a record has just enough lines to put it close to the page break location.  When the last page of the varying section is not close to the page break boundaries, everything is fine.  The first several pages are set to slide as they contain variable size fields.  I can go in an edit the footer to fix the problem temporarily, but when the variable length section changs again and gets near the boundaries, problem resurfaces.  Just wondering if there is some setting I am overlooking causing the variances between preview displayed pages and actual printed pages.

-=J

Filemaker 10.3 Pro & Advanced

Win Xp Sp3

• 1. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
          philmodjunk

Generally speaking your previewed and printed option should match.

Is your printing being performed from a script that uses Print[Restore]? I'm wondering if the options selected in Print Setup... when your script previews the report differ in some way what's stored in the Print[Restore] step. A custom page size or difference in page orientation setting would explain this.

Also, a font substitution made by your printer might be an issue.

• 2. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
            JLG

PhilModJunk wrote:

Generally speaking your previewed and printed option should match.

Is your printing being performed from a script that uses Print[Restore]? I'm wondering if the options selected in Print Setup... when your script previews the report differ in some way what's stored in the Print[Restore] step. A custom page size or difference in page orientation setting would explain this.

Also, a font substitution made by your printer might be an issue.

I do use print restore, but checked all the setting and they apear to be consistent with what is used everywhere in the dbase.  I have also tried two different printers with the same results. 

While searching with google, I found one guy whom referenced a problem with preview page count matching actual printing, but I could find no other reference.  I also don't know if he was referencing an old version of Filemaker.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.filemaker/browse_thread/thread/47ceb4bfc33c7b44/80f2e136071b122e

Second post at the bottom of the post.

-=Jasen=-

• 3. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
              comment_1

It's hard to determine the cause from your description alone, but I think you should try setting the layout to use fixed margins - and err on the conservative side.

• 4. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
                JLG

I finally see exactly what is happening.  The text on some lines is wrapping around to the next line sooner in the preview than when printed.  This causes the preview to have extra lines verses actual print and when it is close to a page end, preview can be an extra page.

I just don't understand why this is happening or how to solve it.  How can the field size (prints with borders) change from preview to print to cause this word wrapping difference (I am using slide, but only up)?  I am playing with page setup margins, but it does not change the field size (and wrapping), only clips if I go too far.

Also tried switching around fonts to standards (Arial, courier), still had differences in the word wrapping.  Then I eliminated the script entirely and preformed all the functions manually using the standard filemaker menus with the same results as the script.

Thanks,

-=J.

• 5. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
                  JLG

Found some old threads on the subject way back in Filemaker 5.  Not sure if the issue still exists.

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?7387-word-wrap-in-preview-differs-from-printout

Also found this which is not for preview verses print, but though maybe it could help.  Sure enough, it did help.  Not quite perfect, but it did improve the word wrap where there is only one line different by the end.  You can see this effect by going into preview, scrolling to last page and changes zoom from 100% to 150% (or any other zoom level).

http://www.filemaker.com/support/kb/?answers/detail/a_id/5399

This may work too.  http://www.briandunning.com/cf/659 

edit - The wordwrap function (above link) did not work for the problem.  Guess I will have to live with the one line difference improvement using the zoom switching work around.  Wish someone else would verify a word wrap difference on a large text field from preview to print and then change the zoom setting on preview to see the difference.  I was using Arial size 10 plain (which font and size made a difference in word wrap while switching zoom levels).  Maybe this is still a bug?  Should I see a word wrap difference when switching zoom levels while in preview?

-=Jasen=-

• 6. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
                    comment_1

The thread you found is from March 2005 and has a .fp7 file attached -  that would make it version 7. Not much has changed since, and the answer given by user Leader seems most plausible.

• 7. Re: Preview Page Count Problem
                      JLG

comment wrote:

The thread you found is from March 2005 and has a .fp7 file attached -  that would make it version 7. Not much has changed since, and the answer given by user Leader seems most plausible.

Hey, add 3 hours to that post & edit time since I am EST (did not realize the default was PST)........I am happy the post was intelligible (barely)...heheheh...worked all night.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Would still be curious if this is known bug.  Very odd how changing the zoom level during preview page count improved the situation.

-=Jasen=-