5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2013 8:09 AM by philmodjunk

Previewing word document in Layout

SivaRaja

Title

Previewing word document in Layout

I want to show a preview of word document in Layout.

I can use container field or any other available methods.

"Word Icon" is showing up in container field but preview not showing up.
           (PDF files preview is working in container field.)

Problems with container field when inserting word document.
           - File NOT inserted as "store a reference"
           - Clicking icon  doesnt open up in word

What should I do to preview word docs in Filemaker ?

• 1. Re: Previewing word document in Layout
          philmodjunk

I don't know that you can view the document directly in the layout. What version of FIleMaker are you using? FileMaker 12 has options earlier versions didn't, but then FileMaker 11 for windows supports OLE (object linking and embedding) and FileMaker 12 does not.

So the Operating system and version of FileMaker you are using makes a difference here in what is possible.

Problems with container field when inserting word document.

- File NOT inserted as "store a reference"

- Clicking icon  doesnt open up in word

That is how FileMaker is intended to work. Double clicking the container field will open the inserted file, but only if Insert File with "store a reference" is used to insert the file. Since "store a reference" was not used, the double click will not open the file.

But you can use Export Field Contents to open a copy of this file. This is an option you can select from the Edit menu (Click the field first) or it can be scripted.
          • 2. Re: Previewing word document in Layout
            SivaRaja

Im using Filemaker Pro 12 on windows7 OS.

Is there any other methods to preview word documents ?

• 3. Re: Previewing word document in Layout
              philmodjunk

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do and why?

There really aren't any other options for Word documents, but you provide a more detailed explanation, we may be able to help you work within the options already discussed.

• 4. Re: Previewing word document in Layout
                SivaRaja

I have students profile in a table & im uploading their CV / resume.

While browsing students in form view I need their word resume to be previewed.

• 5. Re: Previewing word document in Layout
                  philmodjunk

Then the methods that I have described for opening the file from FileMaker in MS Word should work if all you will do is read the file. Things are more complex if you need to edit the file and retain the changes but that is not and issue if you simply need to read the file.

And if you convert them to PDF's and insert the PDF into a container field, you gain additional options for how you can read the file from FileMaker.