1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 8:46 PM by MatthewGruba

Price Difference in Australia

GarethForwood

Title

Price Difference in Australia

Hi there,

I'm really not sure if this is the right place to post this query, but I couldn't really think of where it should go...

I have been using a trial of FM Pro for about 3 weeks now, downloaded from the US site.  Based on the listed price of US$299, I decided to purchase it.  At current exchange rates, US$299 translates roughly to AU$325.  When I tried to purchase through the US site, it redirected me to the Australian site to complete the purchase with an Australian billing address.  However, the Australian price for FM Pro is nowhere close to AU$325, it is in fact AU$453 (or roughly US$416).  Now, I understand that for many imported products, a price increase is necessary to cover the extra shipping costs, government import taxes etc., but this is a downloaded product!  Our sales tax in Australia is currently only 10%, which, if applied to the full list price of FM Pro, is only US$30 difference.  The Australian price is almost 40% more than the US price.

My question, therefore, is this: Why is FM so much more expensive to purchase in Australia?  I would be happy to pay up to $350, but I think the price difference is just ridiculous!  Perhaps FM might like to reconsider its Australian prices.

I welcome any responses, especially from FM representatives.

Kind regards,

Gareth

• 1. Re: Price Difference in Australia
          MatthewGruba
          Ahh yes,
          This is not an answer as such, but I would send them an email.
          I sent Filemaker an email today to this effect:
          I would like to say first, that I have been running a Filemaker solution, in my practice, since version 5.
          I live and work in Australia, and wish to upgrade my FileMakerPro 10 Advanced license to Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced.  I am happy to download, so I jumped on your US website from Google.  I noticed that the US price for this is US$299, but it would not happily take an Australian address.  So I went to the Australian portal, where the price  is AU$450 (US$411 at todays rates).
          I was prepared to see a small difference, but that is a whopping 27% increase!  Now I could understand a large difference if I was buying a box, travel/handling expenses being what they are, but for download??  I don't think so.  I thought to check another portal, so I had a look at the UK site £197 (US$300).
          Then I called customer support in Australia, and was told that the US price was recently reduced, however there is no plan apparent to do the same for us Aussies.  
          So I want to know whether you will let me buy from the US store, or if you will take a look at the exchange rates and adjust the Australian price, as you have clearly done for the UK.  Because $110 is significant money, whether it is in US or Aussie dollars.  

Either that, or maybe it is time for me to start a store on Ebay and take advantage of the price differential.

In my opinion they really need to drop the price, however they might hold a different opinion.