3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

Price History

TKnTexas

Title

Price History

I think I am having a senior moment.  I have inventory records.  Originally I had the purchase price as a number field.  But I have decided I want to maintain a history of prices.  I think there might be a benefit when negotiating prices with a vendor.  I have added a related table of prices. 

I have tied the two tables together with based on the primary key being the sequence number auto-assigned.  How do I get the parent record to show the price added to the PriceTable (child table)? 

• 1. Re: Price History
          philmodjunk

A portal comes to mind. And you can use a date field to show when the price went into effect. Then you can sort your portal to show the most recently dated price record first. (And a sorted relationship can also be used.)

• 2. Re: Price History
            TKnTexas

I have a portal with a date field in the portal.  I need to get the new price into the field that was once the manual-entered price field.  There are other calculations that feed off of that field.  I just have some nagging feeling I am missing something. 

BTW, thanks for quick response Phil.

• 3. Re: Price History
              philmodjunk

You'll need to describe your design in more detail.

I'd guess you have something like:

Invoices----<LineItems>-----Products-----<PricingHistory

And you need a new lineitem record to look up the correct price from pricing history.

If so, you can sort your relationship by date in descending order and then a looked up value or auto-enter calculation can copy over the most recent price from PricingHistory for that item selected from Products.

The main "gotcha" that can make this fail is if you set up a price change in PricingHistory in advance. In such cases, you have set up a different relationship using some additional matching to screen out prices that have not yet gone into effect.