1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 8:38 AM by philmodjunk

Prime Table Field

aztech

Title

Prime Table Field

I am looking for a way to prime a field in my tables. We work with fiscal years, I have a table called "current year" that is related to my other tables by a field called yearID. within this table I may have a record for last year, this year and next year. The user would select the year they want to work with and then the user creates a new record in one of the other tables I want the system to "prime" or automagically enter the current working year ID from year table. They could be entering data into last year or this year so using a date calculation does not work. I have spent hours trying to figure this out using calculated fields etc to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Prime Table Field
          philmodjunk

The user would select the year they want to work with

Set up a field with global storage, such as Globals::gWorkingYear

Format it with your value list of years (radio buttons, drop down list or pop up menu)

I want the system to "prime" or automagically enter the current working year ID

In any tables where you have a year field and you want a new record in the table to automatically enter the year selected by the user, Find the field in Manage | database | fields and double click it to open Field Options. Click the auto-enter tab, select the "calculation" option and enter this expression:

Globals::gWorkingYear //use your table and field names in place of my example names.