8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 1:53 PM by audiosquid_1

Print as PDF default file name.

audiosquid_1

Title

Print as PDF default file name.

On a Mac, when I choose print on any layout in my database, and then choose save as pdf in the print dialog, there is a default for the file name that is in the save as pdf box that comes up, and it is a very old name from an old version of my database, and I can not figure out how to change this default name that comes up.

When I choose save as pdf from filemakerpro (not using print dialog) than the default file name that comes up is "Untitled", which is good, now is there any way I can change the default name in the save as pdf via the print dialog? 

• 1. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
          comment_1

See this.

Note: do NOT be tempted to try and recover the file as suggested at the end.

• 2. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
            audiosquid_1

The link did explain things for me. And while I was not able to move the database to windows and then print as I don't have filemaker on windows, I did try the recover on a backup of the file, and now the default comes up as the file name as I would like it to.

And in the future I'll be sure not to rename the file in the finder. :-) 

Thanks for the tip! 

• 3. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
              comment_1
                 Yes, it will do what they say it does - but it's a dangerous tool that may damage your file. Best to use it only as a last resort for recovering data from a corrupted file.
              • 4. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
                audiosquid_1

The tip linked to above doesn't work. At first after recovering the file, it seemed to work, but then upon opening the recovered file a second time, it was back to the old default name. So I moved the file over to windows, printed, and then moved back to the mac as suggested. That did not work either, still the same old default name when choosing save as pdf.

Now if I distribute my database, and anyone does a print as pdf, this old, meaningless name will appear in the name field. It's a knows bug, please fix for filemaker 9, and I certainly wont bother getting 10 unless the problem is fixed.

• 5. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
                  obeechi
                     Why not just use "Save a Copy As ... " and then name it with the new file? Open up the new copy, check to see it works, then move the old copy somewhere else, until you feel secure about deleting it... just be careful not to get confused about which copy is the working the copy... If you're saving to another directory, then you shouldn't have any issues with the name being the same... (if that's even the case here)
                  • 6. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
                    audiosquid_1

I tried that too, saved as a clone, as a compressed clone, and as one with no records, and each time that old file name still comes up.

To avoid confusion here, this is using the save as pdf function in the print dialog on a mac os X. If I select save as pdf from filemakers menu, "untitled.pdf" is automatically in the file name field (the last thing I typed in there, which is good), but if i choose print, and then choose save as pdf, "stoopid old name.pdf" is automatically in the file name field. And that is the one I'd like to change, but how to change this default....

Oh well, it does force me to integrate filemakers save as pdf function into my solution, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• 7. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
                      comment_1
                         Is it possible that you have a script with the [Restore] option turned on for a Print or Page Setup step?
                      • 8. Re: Print as PDF default file name.
                        audiosquid_1

Very odd indeed.... So I go and double check my print scripts, and yes they did have restore, and looking at their settings, I see the generic name I want to use show up, so that looks ok, but I do modify it and save, and now the old default name is gone! I guess I had to save it again to make the new name sit, as I had tried this earlier, though this time it was with the version of the file I sent to windows and back to mac. Perhaps a magical combination finally overwrote the default.

So things seem to be as I like them now and I wont have a headache any more, thank you all for your help!