7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 11:27 AM by philmodjunk

Print field content

Elie

Title

Print field content

Hello, I'musingFileMakerpro10onWindowsVista, andwouldliketoknowifthere'sawaytoprintacertainfieldcontent , notallthepage.

Regards.

Elie.

• 1. Re: Print field content
          fitch

Not really. You need to make a layout with just that field on it.

• 2. Re: Print field content
            Elie

i did so, but my field's content is too large ( a log report ) so i need a way to print this info.

• 3. Re: Print field content
              philmodjunk

Make the field many lines tall and set it to Slide up, reduce (resize) the size of the enclosing part. This should preview and print like you desire providing you can make the field large enough. The sliding is not visible in browse mode.

(Since a log consists of many entries, it may make more sense in the long run to divide up your many entries in to separate records to be displayed in a list or table view for printing. In that format you will need less (possibly no) sliding and it's easier to read in browse mode.)

• 4. Re: Print field content
                Elie

Is there a way to divide my field into columns or to divide my field content into 2 or more different fields ???

• 5. Re: Print field content
                  philmodjunk

Yes,

Filemaker has many text functions that prove useful for such tasks. If the text has  consistant format so that you can determine where to split the text, you can use calculations in calculatin fields or in a script to parse out the text in one field into multiple fields and also multiple records.

• 6. Re: Print field content
                    Elie

I could need your help on how could i split my text into 2 fields on a certain number of ( Break line ) !

• 7. Re: Print field content
                      philmodjunk

You can use the GetValue function for this.

GetValue(textfield ; 1 )

returns all the text preceding the first line break. GetValue (text field; 2 ) would return all the text between the 1st and 2nd line breaks.

There are also ways to use the position, left, right and middle functions to extract portions of text from your field. You can use the ¶ symbol in a position function to find the position of a specific instance of that character.