Following on from this I have these problems (first time I have done this)
1. Page is A4 Landscape
2. I set the sliding and visibility but the field stays the same size
3. More text but only what is seen on screen is displayed
4. Lots of whitespace and there is more information about this record being pushed onto page 2 (I have looked at the formatting for ages and can't figure it out
sorry for all the questions (I have been working on this all morning and can't see the answers)
Number 4 solved (removed footer)
Sliding enables a field to shrink, it won't expand to fit the text in the field. This then requires that you size the field much larger than you expect to need in the most extreme case, then set it both to slide up and toe "resize enclosing part". This last setting is what removes the unused "white spaces" left when the field "slides up". Then you need to set any other objects on your layout--including graphic objects such as a horizontal line, that are placed alongside or below the sliding field to also slide up and resize.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Thank you Phil,
based on your response I got sliding to work (by changing the fields below) but I did not realise (which I should have done) that the field labels would remain where they are (they are down the side not across the top)
Also based on your answer it looks like there is not slide/grow option
thank you again