4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 11:43 AM by stevebarker

Print from layout

stevebarker

Title

Print from layout

Hi, I have created a layout that I am using to print out a report. In one of the fields I have typed more information that is visible on screen. When I export to pdf it only shows what is on screen. Is it possible to make sure that when I export to pdf it picks up everything in the field and not just what is visible?

thank you

• 1. Re: Print from layout
          stevebarker

Following on from this I have these problems (first time I have done this)

1. Page is A4 Landscape

2. I set the sliding and visibility but the field stays the same size

3. More text but only what is seen on screen is displayed

4. Lots of whitespace and there is more information about this record being pushed onto page 2 (I have looked at the formatting for ages and can't figure it out

sorry for all the questions (I have been working on this all morning and can't see the answers)

thank you 

• 2. Re: Print from layout
            stevebarker

Number 4 solved (removed footer)

• 3. Re: Print from layout
              philmodjunk

Sliding enables a field to shrink, it won't expand to fit the text in the field. This then requires that you size the field much larger than you expect to need in the most extreme case, then set it both to slide up and toe "resize enclosing part". This last setting is what removes the unused "white spaces" left when the field "slides up". Then you need to set any other objects on your layout--including graphic objects such as a horizontal line, that are placed alongside or below the sliding field to also slide up and resize.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
              5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
              13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              • 4. Re: Print from layout
                stevebarker

Thank you Phil,

based on your response I got sliding to work (by changing the fields below) but I did not realise (which I should have done) that the field labels would remain where they are (they are down the side not across the top)

Also based on your answer it looks like there is not slide/grow option

thank you again