8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 10:34 AM by philmodjunk

Print Layout Printing

SimonCarter

Title

Print Layout Printing

Hi,

When I am printing my print layout the boxes do not accommodate the text and will only print the first line.

Please can you let me know how to make the print layout print all the text that in the box?

Many thanks in advance

Simon

• 1. Re: Print Layout Printing
          SimonCarter
          /files/c0a2377a3f/Capture.JPG 737x756
          • 2. Re: Print Layout Printing
            SteveMartino

I don't quite understand what you are asking, but typically with layouts used for printing, most people make the boxes big enough to accommodate the largest amount of text, then take advantage of sliding up and resizing enclosing part.  Now this might create other problems if the report is more then one page.

Also for printed reports, some people like to use merge fields instead of text fields.

• 3. Re: Print Layout Printing
              SimonCarter

Basically the fields that I have entered on the printlayout sometimes include more text than the box is able to hold. In the "detail view" this is fine as it puts the arrows to scroll.

But in print view it only prints what you can see. So the text that is remaining is not printed.

Is it possible to that in "printlayout" it will resize around the text so all the text is printed.

I hope that I am making since as it is a little hard to explain

• 4. Re: Print Layout Printing
                SteveMartino

Now I understand.  My last post will help.  But to reiterate, use a separate layout to print.  Use merge fields or text boxes big enough to contain the largest amount of data.  In the inspector tab for those objects/fields, use the sliding feature to 'slide up' and also check 'also resize enclosing part'

• 5. Re: Print Layout Printing
                  philmodjunk

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                  3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                  5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                  7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                  9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                  11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                  13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                  15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
                  • 6. Re: Print Layout Printing
                    SimonCarter

Fantastic, so I did a good job of explaining!

Just to confirm I am using a different layout to print. It is a little difficult to make a "test field" or "merge field" that is large enough to cover the largest amount of data as it could be one word to 1 page of data that goes in some boxes e.g. "company description".

I did try your suggestion of  * use the sliding feature to 'slide up' and also check 'also resize enclosing part'  *

This seems to have no effect and the box remains the same.

thanks in advance

• 7. Re: Print Layout Printing
                      SteveMartino

You have to make sure all objects that need to slide are set to slide, including the labels.  And you need to look at it printed, or in Preview mode.  And follow Phil's post about sliding object rules....

I have a table/layout for writing letters.  The header is 3" tall and the body part is 430" tall.  It shrinks up everytime :)  Can you show a screenshot in layout mode, showing the arrows where sliding is enabled? For 12 it's in the View menu>Show>Show sliding objects

Also, but probably not in your case, sometimes merge fields get big and overlap the other fields, even though they don't take up as much space as their field name

• 8. Re: Print Layout Printing
                        philmodjunk

And when you have data in a single field that can range from "one word to one page", it is sometimes an indication that you need to take a fresh look at that data to see if it possibly needs to be broken up into a set of records in a related table. This isn't always possible nor always the best approach, but in some circumstances, it can produce a dramatically improved structure for your database and for your reports.