7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 7:48 AM by philmodjunk

Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac

BertGroeneveld

Title

Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac

Hello,

FileMaker Pro 11 Server running on Mac Mini with OSX Lion

24 Apple clients, 1 Windows XP client. All using FMP 11.

Problem: Print menu and Page setup menu on the Windows client machine are completely greyed out. On Apple machines no problem. How can this be fixed? I need to print from the Windows machine. Already tried to login with the same name and password as on the Mac without result. Any help would be appreciated.

Bert

• 1. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
          philmodjunk

Is there a printer driver installed on the windows machine?

• 2. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
            BertGroeneveld

Thank you for your answer.

Of course. Other printer functionality works fine on that Windows machine.

• 3. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
              philmodjunk

If you create a small filemaker file on the windows machine for testing purposes, can you access the print and printer setup menu options in this test file?

• 4. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
                BertGroeneveld

I created another user with Full Access. When I log in as this user I am able to print. Strange thing however the old user does have print privileges assigned. Anyway.

I ran into the next problem (only on the Windows machine): The output on the printer is cut off at the right side. An area of app. 5 cm is not printend.

It looks like I defined a print area which is too small (just like what you can do wrong (or forget) in Microsoft Excel). Unfortunately, I don't know too much about FileMaker. The database I work with is once (7 years ago with FMP5) designed and programmed by another person. I can't ask him anymore.

Anybody ideas or suggestions how to extend the print area so that my layout/records are nicely print?

Bert.

• 5. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
                  philmodjunk

Sounds like the user account might be corrupted. Just a guess, could be wrong.

This is the same printer for both systems? and the same exact paper size and orientation options were specified in print setup? (Gotta check those first.)

It could still be a difference in printer drivers and the printer's maximum print area. (How close the printer can print to each edge of the page). Also check to see if the mac systems are using a scaling percentage as this feature is not supported in windows.

What you do to fix this depends on what you find out here. You may be able to change some print setup options, or you may need to modify your layout design to get it to fit on the printed page. Keep in mind that you can also specify printer margins in layout setup, so reducing these (if you defined any for the  layout) may enable you to fit the data on the page. Also keep in mind that you do not have to use the same layout for printing the data as you do for browsing/editing data.

• 6. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
                    BertGroeneveld

Hello PhilModJunk, thanks again for your answer. I checked all your suggestions. The only problem left now is that I am still unable to print layouts with a scaling percentage (59%) from Windows XP. The paper comes out of the printer however, but the layout is still cut off at the right side despite that there is room enough on the paper. I did the same test from a Windows 7 client (installed over Parallels on my MacBook Pro) and everything seems to work fine. Can I safely conclude that print scaling is not supported on XP but fixed in Windows 7? If yes I will need to upgrade the Windows XP computer. On the other hand, could it be that the print problem is still there on a real Windows 7 machine (instead of a Windows 7 installation on Parallel's on a Mac). I was not in a situation to test that myself.

Bert.

• 7. Re: Print menu greyed out on Windows not on Mac
                      philmodjunk

Scaling is supported on Macs but not on windows xp as far as I know. Interesting to hear that it is supported in windows 7.