1 2 3 4 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 9:05 AM by philmodjunk

Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?

ralvy

Title

Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?

I need a report that lets me see the output before printing. Using a Go Preview Mode before Print, works fine for this, but only shows me the first page of the intended print job. Is there a way to script it to show all pages in Preview Mode?

• 1. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
          philmodjunk

Click the book control in the upper left corner. In Browse mode, this steps you through the records in the found set. In Preivew mode, it steps you through each page.

• 2. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
            ralvy
               Unfortunately, that would require that I show the client the Status Bar during that step in the process. I don't let the client see the Status Bar at all in this app. I guess I can temporarily enable it during the Preview script step, but I really don't like them seeing it there, especially with all those other irrelevant buttons on it.
            • 3. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
              philmodjunk
                 You might be able to generate a PDF and bring it up for the user to preview. I leave it to you to decided if that's better than temporarily exposing the task bar.
              • 4. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                BobSchwenkler

I was just about to make a post on basically the same thing. Hope it's not an issue if I jump in.

My issue is similar, I'm looking to generate separate PDF files for each page from preview mode of a layout via script; I'm using a sub-summary form for this layout. The pages need to be exported individually so they can be reimported into another table alongside PDFs of other layouts I've exported (to create a print booklet that combines multiple layouts in which the pages can be ordered as required).

"Save Records As PDF" only prints the first page of my preview, no matter what page I'm viewing. The "Print" step would work if it let me use variables for the filename and pages to be printed. There is no other workaround for this? 

• 5. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                  philmodjunk

I think I understand. I can use Save/Send Records As | PDF... to create a PDF of either the first page, all pages, or just a specified range of pages (click the options... button), but I don't see a way for the page range to be specified during script execution.

If each record always takes up the same vertical space in your report, (You don't have any fields set to "slide up"), you could try making a PDF of just enough records to make up a page, then pulling up the next set of records to PDF and so forth. You should be able to do this in a loop.

The presence of Sub-summary parts will complicate this, as will headers, footers and the like. You would have to detect these and allow for them in determining how many records make up a page.

The resulting script would be prettiny complex, but it might be do-able.

Now if some programmer produced a plug in that would allow you to programmatically specify the page...

• 6. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                    ralvy

PhilModJunk wrote:
                    You might be able to generate a PDF and bring it up for the user to preview. I leave it to you to decided if that's better than temporarily exposing the task bar.

Well, the client is using a runtime version of the FMPA10 solution, so PDFs aren't an alternative here. I guess I'll just have to get them used to the Status Bar.

• 7. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                      ralvy

PhilModJunk wrote:

Click the book control in the upper left corner. In Browse mode, this steps you through the records in the found set. In Preivew mode, it steps you through each page.

I find that in Preview mode, at least in this script, the Book Control is greyed out, even though there are more than 1 page. Might this have something to do with my Custom Menus?

• 8. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                        mrvodka
                           Yes this is a beahvior change with FM10. You will now have to modify your Custom Menus to include the Go to Record step.
                        • 9. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                          philmodjunk

You guys must be talking about the run time version. In regular FMP 10, I can step through the previewed pages without trouble.

• 11. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                            philmodjunk

That seems to refer to a DB with a custom menu. Since my test was with a file that did not have a custom menu, that's the missing piece of the puzzle. Testing a file with a custom menu replicates what that thread reports.

If you don't have a custom menu added to your file, you shouldn't see this bug.

• 12. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                              mrvodka

ralvy wrote:

I find that in Preview mode, at least in this script, the Book Control is greyed out, even though there are more than 1 page. Might this have something to do with my Custom Menus?

mr_vodka wrote:
                              Yes this is a beahvior change with FM10. You will now have to modify your Custom Menus to include the Go to Record step.

:smileysurprised:

• 13. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                                ralvy
                                   When I modify my Custom Menu for that layout to include the Go To Record step, everything works find if I load that layout manually. But if a script loads it, the Status Bar shows Next and Previous Records greyed out. Not only is this greyed out, it says Records, not Pages. I guess I have to work on that script more.
                                • 14. Re: Print Preview: How do I get multiple pages?
                                  philmodjunk

Check to see if you are actually in preview mode. That sounds like browse mode. I just tested a one line script that enters preview mode and pauses in one of my files that has a custom menu (plus the added go to record command) and it properly displays the page control.

By the way, I just descovered that you can hide the extra go to record command from your users. You can define a custom menu with this added command but you don't actually have to make the custom menu a member of any menu group. Just defining the custom menu re-enables the page control.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next