2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 1:54 PM by WIZKID

Print range scripting for PDF on multi page layouts??

WIZKID

Title

Print range scripting for PDF on multi page layouts??

Hi All:

I would like to replicate the print range functionality of MS Word in FM Pro 8.5.  FM print ranges are limited to successive pages only (i.e. print page 1-5).  It does not allow entering a print range 1-5, 7-9, 10-50 etc. with some pages skipped in the same batch (as in MS Word).  I can write a script to print pages 1-5, then 7-9, then 10-50 and have them come out on the printer just fine, but this doesn't work when my print output is PDF because it would generate 3 separate PDFs for each record.  Merging the separate PDFs into one document can be done manually, but would take forever if there are a large number of records being printed from the database.  Anyone have any ideas how to do this programatically?  Print the range with skips for record A as one PDF, then do the same for record B, then C, etc.

Much thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Print range scripting for PDF on multi page layouts??
          gregl

You're using FileMaker Pro 8.5, so I think the only option available to you with that version is to set up some sort of automated workflow to merge the separate PDF files after you've finished creating them... you may need to call an AppleScript or some other OS scripting feature.  In Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (and above), there is a "Combine PDF Pages" Automator action, along with a join.py Python script that merges PDF files.

With FileMaker Pro 9.0, an Append to Existing PDF feature was added to the Save Records as PDF script step. 

• 2. Re: Print range scripting for PDF on multi page layouts??
            WIZKID

Thanks for the ideas on both 8.5 and 9.0.  I was not aware of the Append to Existing PDF function.  Good to know and i'll look into an upgrade.