6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Print Report sends only one line to printer

rcarbaugh

Title

Print Report sends only one line to printer

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I would appreciate some input on possible solutions.  I'm a Mac guy, with a journeyman's knowledge of FMP, trying to set up a not-so-tech-savvy PC user from a distance, and she has a very strange printing problem.

I have set up a series of tables which essentially give a donor/donation one to many relationship.  By way of simple scripts and layouts, the file can generate monthly receipts, annual receipts and a few reports.  I sent her two identical files, one with dummy info to test the reports, and one empty clone to enter "live" data.  The Monthly Receipt script, for example, results in a single page per donor for a specific month, in Preview mode, with the organization info and donor info, as well as donations and total for that month.  You can scroll through each page in preview, and it looks appropriate.

When it is sent to the printer, however, it prints out one line of donations, but most of the text data is gone.  For the annual report, for instance, it prints one line, then the total, instead of two pages of donations.  Significantly, printing to a .pdf file generates the correct report, as seen on the screen.  That makes me think something is nutty in her print dialog or with the printer itself.

Now the caveats:  I am using FMP11 on a Mac, and this file works perfectly here.  Although I am new to FMP11, I have been using FMP since 3.5 came out. I am replacing a FMP7 database system that worked fine for years until the host's PC toasted.  She upgraded to Windows 7 and FMP11, and I am trying to get her setup again.  She is using a new Windows 7 machine, and an older color laser printer.

Obviously, I am working pretty blind, in that I am not familiar with PeeCees, I don't have all of the facts of her hardware, and she is limited in the info that she can give me from her end.

In an effort to save paper, she has printed tests using "Page 1 to 1" or "Page 3 to 3" types of commands.  It is possible that she has put in "Records 1 to 1" instead of pages, but I doubt that she is making that mistake.  Although she is not very computer-fluent, she is a brilliant author.

Anyway, if reading anything above triggers any kind of epiphany, please let me know.  I'll also be glad to send a dummy file to someone to see if it prints out okay on their PeeCee.

RCarbaugh

• 1. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
          philmodjunk

The most obvious possibility is to check and see if the print job was initiated with "Current Records" or "records being browsed" was selected. This would not affect what you see in preview and "Current Record" would print just the current record--likely printing your single row of data here.

• 2. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
            rcarbaugh

Well, I wish they were all this easy.  Turns out that it WAS the current record/records being browsed option.  Once corrected, the reports are as expected.  Thanks to those of you that scratched your heads for a while.

Interestingly, she said that printing from Preview mode does not offer that option, but printing from Browse mode does.  Both modes offer the option on a Mac, so I was surprised to hear her description.  

At any rate, she found it, and all is well.

RCarbaugh

• 3. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
              RickWhitelaw

Preview Mode . . . I use it for one purpose . . . to see how a layout looks. For printing, I don't go there, whether manually or via script. I could be wrong, but I see no reason to print from Preview Mode.

RW

• 4. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
                rcarbaugh

Rick:

Thanks for weighing in on this issue.  

Crawling back through my memory, I remember that the user guide's description of the print mode indicated that FMP printed the Preview mode, regardless if it was in Browse mode or Preview mode (User Guide FMP7 or before).  Other than losing the convenience of the navigation buttons, I see no reason to avoid printing from Preview, although it is by no means necessary.  My scripts for this user take her to Preview so that she can review the final output before she prints it (WYSIWYG), hopefully instilling more confidence in seeing the final output.

YMMV, of course, and I certainly could be wrong.  Printing from Preview has never presented any pitfalls in my experience, at least on a Mac.

RCarbaugh

• 5. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
                  RickWhitelaw

Rodney,

Yes, of course if you want to view before printing, Preview mode is key. I neglected to say I was thinking of scripted printing. When I script printing I don't bother going to Preview since it's all going to happen (hopefully) so fast that I won't see anything anyway.

RW

• 6. Re: Print Report sends only one line to printer
                    philmodjunk

Preview assumes that the user will select "records being browsed". If you want a script to preview the report using the current record only, your script can first isolate that record in a found set of just that record and then preview will match what you get when you print.

I often set up report scripts to select the layout, pull up the data, enter preview mode, and pause. Continuing the script returns the user to their original layout, records, etc without printing. If they want to print the report, they select print from the file menu while it is paused in preview mode.

Pros:

1. Printing from the File menu is a very familiar way to print for most users as that's how they'd print from any other application.
                    2. If the report requires special paper such as a page of labels, they get a visible reminder that this is what they need and time to put it in the printer before they print.
                    3. Many issues with scripts selecting the wrong printer, and or page set up options (or forgetting to retain same) are avoided as the user selects these options manually when printing.

Cons:

1. Requires users to know difference between FileMaker print options like "Records being browsed" and "Current Record" for many reports. (With some reports, the script isolates a single record for preview so the two options will produce identical results.)
                    2. This takes longer to do so may not be a good option when you need to print things quickly--such as printing receipts in a busy POS environment.