5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 4:45 PM by philmodjunk

Print results differ from on screen display

JonathanMarcus

Title

Print results differ from on screen display

I have a layout that displays the results of several calculations and scripts.  When I print this layout from one specific computer, the results of the calculations are changed. (The numbers are different)  From other terminals it prints witht the correct results that match the screen display.  I have had similar issues when fonts were not installed properly, but in this case, that is not the issue.  But I have no idea what could cause this.  If you do, any advice would be appreciated.   I'm using FM11 on a PC.

• 1. Re: Print results differ from on screen display
          raybaudi

The only possible way to have a result of a calculation different between two computers of the same network, is that the calculation involves a GLOBAL field.

Is this the case ?

• 2. Re: Print results differ from on screen display
            JonathanMarcus

yes this is the case.  but again, the information displays correctly on the screen at all terminals. It just prints differently from one of them. 

• 3. Re: Print results differ from on screen display
              philmodjunk

Like Raybaudi, I suspected that a global field might be the culprit.

Please check out this Knowledgebase article and see if it explains the issue for you. If not, please report back with a more detailed description of your calculations that are evaluating differently on that one machine.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5895/kw/global%20fields%20network

• 4. Re: Print results differ from on screen display
                JonathanMarcus

The article is helpful, but it doesn't really solve this particular issue .  HEre is some more detailed information.

The layout contains a number of fields that are populated with the use of scripts that that search records with a given criteria and totals the results.  To be more specific, it is comparable to a program for a school that calculates the number of students in each class and displays those totals on one page. 

The results are accurate on all computers, but on one of these computers, the results when printed appear different.  This is true when printing to any printer or to a pdf. 

There is a pattern to the differences in the printed errors:

All digits are printed as 1 less than the accurate digit.  ie,  7 prints as 6, 16 prints as 06, 0 prints as /.

But this can't be a formula problem since it prints perfectly fine on all other computers. 

I should also note that there are other calculations on the layout that simply total the other fields.  These are not global fields and they do print accurately from all computers, including the one in question.

• 5. Re: Print results differ from on screen display
                  philmodjunk

We would need to see the actual calculations to see if there is any visible reason why the numbers are off by one.

But this can't be a formula problem since it prints perfectly fine on all other computers.

Apologies in advance, but that isn't really true in all situations. Not only might there be a global field with a value that differs in this situation due to the network based features of global fields, but certain other calculations based on Design or Get functions, just to name two examples might very well return a value different for one computer than another.

This isn't the only possible explanation, there might be a weird font issue unique to this computer, but can't rule out either possibility without knowing more. That's why I suggested posting the actual calculations used that are producing the spurious results.

Other questions:

When you use this computer to look at the layout you are printing from while in browse mode, do you see correct or incorrect data?

Any calculated formatting going on here in these calculations, say to add leading zeroes or some such?